Chicken Enchiladas are an easy dinner that I have found is pretty much fool proof. These types of recipes make a ton of food and can feed a large crowd.
Lean chicken breast is seasoned with some typical Mexican spices for some great deep flavor. They are then cooked and shredded and rolled in tortillas with some cheese and sauce.
They are topped with our homemade Enchilada sauce which gives it some really great flavor with the spices that have deepened in flavor.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN ENCHILADAS:
SHREDDED CHICKEN ~ Chicken breasts are seasoned with a blend of cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, garlic, powder, and chili pepper.
TORTILLAS ~ Flour tortillas are easily available in every store. However, I do encourage you to go to an authentic market to get ones that have just been made. I am always blown away by the difference.
ENCHILADA SAUCE ~ It’s simple to make homemade enchilada sauce and it is ready in about 15 minutes!
CHEESE ~ A blend of two kinds of cheese, sharp cheddar and Mozzarella always give me great results.
Like I mentioned above, this recipe makes a ton of food. They can be served with a variety of toppings like sour cream, avocado, diced tomatoes, cilantro. And once you add a side dish of rice, or rice and beans your tummy will be so stuffed and full !Print
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- 1–2 Chicken Breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
FOR THE FILLING:
- 1/2 Cup Onion, diced
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
- 1/4 Cup Bell Pepper,green or red, diced
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoonp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 Cup Tomato Sauce
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER:
- 8 Flour Tortillas
- 8 oz Enchilada Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- Season each side of the chicken breasts with the spice mixture.
- Heat a medium-sized sauté pan over medium heat and add 1-2 tablespoons olive oil, once hot and shimmering and the chicken to the pan.
- Cook the chicken for 5-7 minutes, then flip over and cook until no longer pink and internal temperature reaches 160 to 165ºF.
- Transfer chicken to a plate and allow to cool – once cool, shred the chicken into smaller pieces.
FOR THE FILLING:
- Add 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil to a skillet and sauté the onions and peppers over low/medium heat until they begin to soften, approximately 4-5 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper as they are cooking to help bring out the water. The last 30 seconds, add the garlic and stir to combine.
- Add the shredded chicken, sour cream, 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese, parsley, oregano, cumin and chili powder. Stir in the tomato sauce and combine.
- Evenly spread the bottom of a 9×13 pan with Enchilada Sauce.
- Pour 1/2 cup Enchilada sauce in a bowl and dip a tortilla in it. Transfer it to a plate and fill with 1/3 cup of the chicken. Roll it into a cylinder and place it in the pan seam side down. Continue until done.
- Top the enchiladas with the remaining enchilada sauce and the remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° F for 20 minutes or the cheese is completely melted and they are warmed through.
- Serve with rice as a side dish or refried beans, chips and salsa.