A POWERHOUSE of nutrients in a summer side dish (or main veg) with roasted sweet potatoes, spinach, quinoa and avocados in a light lemony vinaigrette.
- 2 Medium Organic Sweet Potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 cloves Organic Garlic, left in tact
- 1 cup Organic Quinoa, thoroughly rinses
- 2 Cups Organic Chicken (or Veg) Stock
- 2 Big Handfuls Organic Spinach, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 1 Organic Avocado, diced
- 1/3 Cup Dried Cranberries
- 1/3 Cup Slivered Almonds
- 1/2 Organic Red Onion, sliced thin
- 4 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard (do not substitute)
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 3 Fresh Basil leaves, finely chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic (that was roasted while roasting the sweet potatoes), mashed
- Juice from Organic Lemon
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425° F
- Peel and dice the sweet potato in even cubes. Toss them in a bowl along with the garlic and drizzle them with the olive oil. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Place them on 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper or a Silpat. If you crowd all the potatoes together they steam vs roast. Roast for 15 minutes, give them a stir and check for doneness. Roast another 5-10 minutes or until done but not mushy.
- Meanwhile add the chicken (or veg) stock to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the rinsed quinoa, cover and lower the heat to a simmer. Cook for approx. 15 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed. When done, fluff with a fork and set a clean dish cloth over it to steam. Peel the garlic and mash.
- Next prepare the salad dressing by combining all the ingredients (including the peeled garlic) minus the olive oil. Whisk vigorously and SLOWLY DRIZZLE in the olive oil until the dressing is emulsified.
- Add the sweet potatoes, quinoa, chopped spinach, dried cranberries, red onion, avocado and slivered almonds in a large bowl. Toss the salad with the desired amount of dressing (there will be extra). Serve immediately.
- This salad will wilt if the dressing is left on too long. It is best served immediately.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS:
BETTER THAN BEEF TURKEY BURGERS