Crisp bell peppers, onions, zucchini, mushrooms and whatever veggies you choose are marinated in oil, balsamic vinegar and spices and then char grilled until tender and caramelized.
Vegetables are born for fire!
I’m not dogging on raw vegetables, they have their purpose and place in our lives as well. Like raw carrots with Homemade Ranch Dressing. They go together like peas and carrots.
But what I’m talking about are grilled-over open flame-charred-with those perfect little grill mark-vegetables.
Are you with me here?
And what better to blend all those perfect vegetables together than a marinade with some olive oil, balsamic vinegar and spices in it.
Go out and buy yourself a good QUALITY balsamic. It will be the consistency between the watered down store version and a balsamic reduction.
Start by gathering all your veggies. I used the ones I love the most, but you can use just about anything really. I grabbed some peppers, zucchini and yellow squash (be sure to get organic otherwise you’ve got yourself a plateful of GMOs), onion and Portobello mushrooms.
You want to be sure to cut all your veggies around the same size so they grill evenly. I cut my peppers in thirds, tomatoes in half, mushrooms in large chunks and used a mandolin for the zucchini.
I didn’t have any large Ziploc bags so I had to use a 9 x 13 pan which obviously wasn’t my best strategy for this.
You want to start grilling with the veggies that take the most time to cook, that would be the peppers and onions. Next add the mushrooms, zucchini and finally the tomatoes.
Save some of the balsamic vinaigrette to pour over those deliciously grilled veggies and you my friend will be the envy of all!Print
- 3 Bell Peppers (I chose 2 green, 1 red, 1 yellow), stems removed, seeded and cut in thirds
- 1 green zucchini, sliced on highest setting on mandolin
- 1 yellow squash, sliced on highest setting on mandolin
- 2 Portobello mushrooms, stems removed and use a spoon on the inside to remove the gills
- 1 Sweet onion, sliced in 1″ thick slices
- 2–3 Roma tomatoes sliced in half
- ¾ cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon freshly chopped basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano and dried thyme (add fresh rosemary, thyme ~ play around with it)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Combine all the ingredients for the balsamic vinaigrette in a bowl
- Place your peppers and onion (try to keep the onion together in one slice) in a large Ziploc bag. Place the mushrooms, zucchini and tomatoes in another bag
- Pour ¾ of the vinaigrette over the veggies and let marinate at least an hour
- Heat the grill to high
- Starting with the peppers and onions, grill w/o turning for approx. 8-10 minutes, checking frequently that the temperature isn’t too high and the veggies aren’t burning
- Turn the peppers and onions over, add the mushrooms and cook for about 4 minutes
- Add the zucchini and tomatoes and cook for approx. 4 min
- Flip veggies if you see them burning or remove to lower heat
- Transfer to a large platter and pour remaining vinaigrette over the veggies
Calories 207.5; Fat 18.6 gr; Chol 0 mg; Sodium 395 mg; Carbs 10.7 g; Fiber 2,2 gr; Sugar 5.7 gr; Protein 2.1 gr