On St. Patrick’s Day, it would be a shame to serve a coffee without Irish whiskey, more importantly, Jameson Whiskey. It’s a marriage made in coffee heaven. Here’s how to make your own Irish Coffee.
My husband and I had the wonderful opportunity to visit Dublin Ireland in 2008. We came upon a pub on an off beaten path one day and that was where I had my first ‘real’ Irish Coffee. They put only Jameson Whiskey in it, not Bailey’s or Kahlua, just plain old Jameson.
I was told on that day this was the ‘official’ way to make an Irish coffee. I believed him.
What’s In an Irish Coffee?
Irish coffee is so simple to make, I feel ridiculous turning this into ‘a recipe’. It’s just basically coffee with Whiskey in it, but I never leave you guessing, so here’s what’s in it:
- Irish Whiskey – There are many Irish whiskeys on the market, but if you want a TRUE Irish coffee then Jameson is the one you want.
- Sugar – brown sugar is put on the bottom of the glass and dissolves into the coffee for a little added sweetness.
- Coffee – strong brewed, it doesn’t have to be caffeinated, decaf works too!
- Whipped cream – fresh is best
How to Make an Irish Coffee
- Pre-heat a clear stemmed glass with very hot water. Empty the water, and add 2 teaspoons of brown sugar.
- Now add some freshly brewed rich coffee and stir.
- As soon as the sugar is melted, add a generous measure of Irish Whiskey. Stir again, then wait for the brew to still.
- Now take a hot teaspoon and pour gently whipped fresh cream slowly over the back of the spoon. The cream should be “half whipped” i.e. not too stiff and not too liquid. A perfect Irish Coffee should look pretty much like that other famous Irish drink – Guinness with a nice frothy foam top.
Looking for more St. Patrick’s Day recipes?
This Irish Beef Stew is made with good ‘ole Guinness – it’s a labor of love and so worth it!Print
St. Patrick’s Day isn’t the same until you’ve had yourself a nice hot Irish coffee with Irish whiskey in it
- 1 teaspoon Brown sugar
- ½ Cup Freshly Brewed black coffee
- ¼ Cup Jameson Irish Whiskey (equivalent to 1 shot)
- Freshly whipped cream
- Pre-heat a clear stemmed glass with very hot water
- Empty the water, and add the brown sugar
- Add the coffee and stir
- As soon as the sugar is melted, add the coffee and Whiskey
- Top with a dollop of fresh whipped cream
Recipe Adapted from: Irish Whiskey Trail