Who doesn’t love pizza? Especially when it’s smothered in sweet and tangy BBQ sauce with a generous helping of juicy chicken. But what do you do when you don’t have all day to make a homemade pizza? Fear not, because we have just the recipe for you.
For those of you who have followed me for over a decade or more, you will recall a time when I was making pizza almost every Friday night. That was mainly due to the internal recoil my New York body would do whenever I ate Midwestern pizza.
I did this for several years, but sometimes, the process of making it can be daunting. With so many toppings, sauces, and crusts to choose from, making a pizza can take days.
But what if I told you that you could make a mouthwatering BBQ chicken pizza in just 30 minutes or less? It’s true and the reason this is possible is because I use dough made by my local pizza shop. It costs $1.00 and it has saved my sanity.
Before we can even bake our pizza, it’s important to properly prepare your ingredients and workspace.
- First things first, preheat your oven to a smoking hot 500°F and place your pizza stone or baking sheet in the oven to heat up. This will ensure that your pizza cooks evenly and has a crispy crust. Once the oven reaches 500° let it continue to heat for another 15-20 minutes.
- Next, gather your ingredients and chop the chicken into small pieces. Then, thinly slice the red onion and shred the mozzarella cheese. If you’re feeling adventurous, add some pineapple for a burst of flavor – just kidding, my kids HATE that.
- With all of your ingredients prepped and ready to go, it’s time to roll out the pizza dough. Dust your workspace with flour and use a rolling pin to stretch out the dough to your desired thickness.
- Once your dough is evenly rolled out, place it on a pizza peel that has been dusted in a little cornmeal. It’s one of the BEST investments you can make if you like homemade pizza. Add the sauce and toppings. In this case, spread a layer of BBQ sauce on the dough, leaving a small border for the crust. Then, add the sliced red onions, chopped chicken, and shredded mozzarella cheese.
And there you have it, a perfectly prepared pizza ready to be baked to perfection. With these simple preparation tips, you’ll be on your way to enjoying a delicious BBQ chicken pizza in no time.
Time to Bake:
- Open the oven door, slide the pizza stone towards you and slide the pizza on to the stone.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Once your pizza is done baking, slide the pizza peel under it and remove it from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Here are a few tips:
- I used a combination of mozzarella cheese AND smoked gouda. If you can find smoked mozzarella that would work also, I just can’t ever find it. The smokiness of the cheese enhances the bbq flavor and they pair so well together.
- I used jarred jalapenos and next time I would use fresh. I find the jarred jalapenos have an extra bite to them that you don’t find with fresh.
- If there are no kids, definitely add red onions, but omit if they throw a fit.
- Make sure your oven is hot … and I mean HOT. Get it up to 500°F and let it continue heating.
- And the last tip is .. get yourself a pizza stone and a pizza peel. They are fairly inexpensive and require very little upkeep. The stone gives your pizza that extra crispiness on the bottom and the peel makes getting the pizza out sooo much easier.
BBQ CHICKEN PIZZA
Like this recipe? Pin it to your SOUP board!
If you love the taste of BBQ sauce and chicken and cheese, then you are in for a real treat. This homemade BBQ Chicken pizza is one of my favorites!
- Pizza dough
- 1–2 Cups Cooked Chicken, diced or shredded
- ½ Cup BBQ Sauce
- 1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- 1 Cup Smoked Gouda Cheese, shredded
- ¼ Cup Onion, diced (red, yellow or white)
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 500°F. Place a cold pizza stone in the oven and let it heat up with the oven.
- Toss the chicken with the BBQ sauce and set aside.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out with your hands and a rolling pin to desired size.
- Sprinkle a little cornmeal on a pizza peel and place the dough on top. Re-stretch to the desired size.
- Spread some of BBQ sauce on the pizza using the back of spoon, leaving about a 1″ border.
- Spread ½ of the mozzarella cheese on the pizza – Add the chicken and onion and jalapeno pepper
- Top with remaining cheese. Brush some melted butter with garlic powder onto the crust (optional)
- Carefully slide the pizza on to the hot pizza stone and bake for 10-14 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove the pizza using the pizza peel again and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, garlic salt, and/or red pepper flakes.
- Slice into 8 slices using a pizza cutter.