Apparently my son started getting a ‘little bored’ with just plain old pizza on our Friday pizza nights. So, as only a true foodie would, I made the most incredible Caramelized Onion, Mushroom, Feta and Spinach with a White Sauce thinking I just knocked it out of the park!
The adults thought it was off the hook.
Kids …. eh not so much. Probably an onion thing and there’s LOTS of ’em!
So I have been tasked with making a KID FRIENDLY pizza. And BBQ chicken was the main ingredient! So off I went into the kitchen and concocted this now most requested pizza!
This is as simple a pizza as there is, honestly. I used to make my own pizza dough, however, I find going to my local pizza place and picking up some fresh dough works just as well these days.
Here are a few tips:
- I used a combination of mozzarella cheese AND smoked gouda. If you can find smoked mozzarella that would work also, I just can’t ever find it. The smokiness of the cheese enhances the bbq flavor and they pair so well together.
- I used jarred jalapenos and next time I would use fresh. I find the jarred jalapenos have an extra bite to them that you don’t find with fresh.
- If there are no kids, definitely add red onions, but omit if they throw a fit.
- Make sure your oven is hot … and I mean HOT. Get it up to 425 – 450 and give it 10 minutes or so to really get hot.
- And the last tip is .. get yourself a pizza stone. They are fairly inexpensive and require very little upkeep. They give your pizza that extra crispiness on the bottom of the pizza.
- Pizza dough
- 1–2 Cups Cooked Chicken, diced or shredded
- ½ Cup BBQ sauce of your choice
- 1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- 1 Cup Smoked Gouda Cheese, shredded
- ¼ Cup Onion, diced (red, yellow or white)
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 450. Put a cold pizza stone in the oven and let it heat up with the oven
- Toss the chicken with the BBQ sauce and set aside
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out with a rolling pin to desired size
- Take the pizza stone out of the oven and sprinkle with corn starch and place the dough on the stone going around to create a crust and to ensure dough is not falling off the edge
- Spread a few Tablespoons of BBQ sauce on the pizza
- Spread ½ of the mozzarella cheese on the pizza
- Add the chicken and onion and jalapeno pepper
- Top with remaining cheese
- Bake for 10-14 minutes
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, garlic salt, red pepper flakes or whatever else floats your boat