As most of your probably know by know, Friday night in our house is pizza night! I decided to try something a little different this week and omit the red sauce.
This pizza has oodles of caramelized onions and mushrooms that have been sautéed and I decided to throw in some spinach for some balance and color.
This pizza has a combination of mozzarella cheese and feta cheese. The mozzarella is great for melting and giving the pizza that traditional cheese taste. The feta cheese adds just the right amount of salt and tang to the onions.
This is a no RED sauce pizza. However, it does have a white bechemel sauce instead. The first time I made it I felt the sauce was a little too ‘heavy’ so I decreased the amount to almost half and thinned it out a bit.
HOW TO MAKE OUR PIZZA:
- Begin by sautéing onions in a saute pan with a little oil – when they have deeply caramelized add the mushrooms and let them sweat and reduce in size. Finally add the spinach and let that wilt.
- Meanwhile the bechemel sauce is made by melting some butter in a saucepan over low/medium heat. Add the flour, garlic and milk. Let it simmer to thicken.
- Roll out the pizza dough on a lightly floured surface. Make sure the oven has been preheated – a very hot oven is needed. And place the dough on a pizza stone.
- Spoon some of the béchamel sauce onto the dough leaving a little crust. Add some of the onions, mushrooms and spinach and finally top with mozzarella and feta cheese.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes or until it’s nice and bubbly.
- Pizza dough
FOR THE WHITE SAUCE:
- 1 Tablespoon organic salted butter
- 1 Tablespoon whole wheat white flour (I use Bob Red Mills)
- 3–4 cloves organic garlic, minced (more or less depending on how much garlic you like)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup organic whole milk, warmed
- 1/4 cup organic Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- pinch of nutmeg
FOR THE PIZZA:
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large white or yellow organic onion, sliced
- 8 ounces fresh organic mushrooms of your choice, sliced
- 6 ounces fresh organic baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon organic cane sugar
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, either shredded or sliced
- 1/2 cup Feta cheese
FOR THE PIZZA:
- Heat a few Tablespoons of oil in a medium skillet over med/high heat. Add the onions. Stir to coat. Sprinkle a generous portion of salt and pepper ~ cook for approximately 2 minutes. Add the sugar, continue to cook until the onions have cooked down, approximately 10 minutes
- Add the mushrooms to the onions and cook until they have released their liquid, approximately 5 min. Add the spinach and let it wilt, a few minutes more. (you can even take the skillet off the heat and cover the pan with a lid, the spinach will wilt from the steam inside)
- Add the vinegar, stir and set aside
FOR THE SAUCE:
- In a small saucepan over low/medium heat, melt the butter and add the flour whisking for about 1 minute. Do not brown the flour. Add the garlic and continue to cook 30 seconds – 1 minute more
- Continue to whisk as you slowly add the warm milk. Continue to stir until the sauce thickens. Take off the heat and add the Parmesan cheese and a pinch of nutmeg. Set aside
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER:
- Roll out your room temperature dough with a rolling pin to your desired size
- Place your pizza dough on top of a very hot pizza stone. If you do not have one a large baking sheet may work
- Top the dough with the white sauce leaving as much of a crust or lip as you like
- Top with 3/4 of the mozzarella cheese then the onion/mushroom/spinach mixture
- Top with the feta cheese and remaining mozzarella
- Bake at 450 for 10-14 minutes ~ top with a little fresh basil and parmesan cheese and enjoy!