Don’t settle for mediocre pasta fagioli soup any longer. With the addition of this one ingredient, your soup will reach new heights of flavor. Try it out and impress your family and friends with your newfound soup skills.
With cold weather, there’s nothing quite as comforting as a hearty, flavorful soup. And in this house we love our homemade soups. But what if we told you that there’s one ingredient that can take your soup from average to extraordinary?
This key ingredient is a game-changer, and I’m here to show you why. I’ll reveal what it is, why it works, and how to use it to elevate your pasta fagioli soup game.
The Key Ingredient You Need
The key ingredient you need is umami-rich Parmesan cheese. Parmesan is the ultimate Italian cheese, and it’s a flavor powerhouse that can turn a simple soup into a gourmet experience. The savory, nutty taste of parmesan cheese adds depth to the soup’s broth, and its salty notes balance the flavors of the beans and pasta perfectly.
We use this salty cheese two ways: the first way is the most obvious, it is finely shredded and added to the soup. But the second way might intrigue you – we use the Parmesan rind. Read on.
How to Use It in Your Soup
To incorporate parmesan cheese and other umami-rich ingredients into your pasta fagioli soup, start by adding a handful of freshly grated parmesan cheese to the pot. As the cheese melts into the soup, it will infuse the broth with a rich, savory flavor. Next, add the Parmesan rind to the soup itself and allow it to simmer infusing the soup with even more flavor.
To prevent the cheese from clumping or separating in the soup, it’s important to add the cheese gradually and stir constantly. You can also add a small amount of flour or cornstarch to the cheese before adding it to the soup to help thicken the broth and prevent clumping.
Once you’ve added the parmesan cheese and other umami-rich ingredients to your pasta fagioli soup, let the soup simmer on low heat for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together. Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning as needed with salt and pepper.
When it comes to leftovers, pasta fagioli soup is the gift that keeps on giving. This soup only gets better with time, so be sure to save any leftovers for a quick and easy meal later in the week. Simply reheat the soup on the stovetop and add any additional toppings or ingredients as desired.
MORE OF MY FAVORITE SOUP RECIPES:
- If you love onions, then this French Onion Soup is a must-try!
- Mushroom Barley Soup is one of my favorite Meatless Monday dinners.
- Unstuffed Stuffed Pepper Soup has all the flavors of stuffed peppers in a piping hot bowl.
PASTA FAGIOLI SOUP
Like this recipe? Pin it to your SOUP board!
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. And consider following me on Facebook and Pinterest!Print
- 3 Tablespoons Olive oil
- ½ Cup Onion, diced
- 2 Carrots, diced
- 2 Stalks Celery, diced
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- ½ lb. Ground Turkey (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Sea salt
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Dried oregano
- ¾ teaspoon Dried thyme
- 1 (14 oz.) Can Diced tomatoes, preferably no salt added
- 4 Cups Chicken broth
- 2 Cans Beans, drained (Cannellini, Kidney)
- 1 Parmesan rind (optional but you won’t regret it)
- Pasta of your choice
- Heat the oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. When shimmering, add the onion, carrot and celery and sauté until they soften, approximately 3-4 minutes. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper as they are cooking.
- Add the ground turkey and break up with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute, then add the spices, stirring around the pot so the oil helps release their flavor.
- Add the chicken broth, beans, Parmesan rind (if using) and chopped tomatoes.
- Cook on the lowest setting for 30 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- When ready to serve, cook the pasta according to directions and scoop a little in a bowl and ladle the soup on top.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
Leave a Reply