In response to those of you who asked for simple fast and easy dinner recipes, this Spaghetti Aglio e Olio could not be simplier, easier OR faster.
Plus it’s just so fun to say! Aglio-e-Olio
This is the most basic of Italian sauces using just olive oil, garlic and some red pepper flakes for heat.
If you have never had spaghetti aglio e olio then you have no idea what you are missing.
Garlic (aglio) is lightly sautéed in olive oil (olio) until browned and golden in color. This is also the base really of any good pasta sauce, and with good reason.
It is combined with pasta that has been boiled in lightly salted water until just al dente. You want to be careful to cook the pasta just to al dente because it will continue cooking in the pan with the oil.
When the pasta is cooked, carefully transfer it to the skillet. DO NOT drain all the water, just pull the pasta out with a pronged spoon, or better yet if you have one of those colanders that cook inside the pot. Then all you have to do is lift it out and pour the pasta into the pan.
Next add about ½ cup of the pasta water TO the skillet and cook it all together to emulsify the pasta water (starch) and the oil and garlic together.
You will end up with a glossy, beautifully bonded sauce to the noodles.
Grated cheese primarily is NOT part of this dish. However, if you insist on grating some parmesan cheese on your pasta then now is the time so it has time to melt.
Top with freshly chopped parsley and ENJOY !!!Print
Spaghetti Aglio e olio
- 1 lb spaghetti
- ½ Cup Quality Olive Oil
- 4 Cloves Organic Garlic, sliced thin
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Parsley to Garnish
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Begin by preparing the pasta by bringing a large pot of salted water to a boil
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, add 5-6 tablespoons olive oil, let it warm and then and garlic. Add pinch of red pepper flakes, if using
- Cook over medium heat until garlic is very lightly golden, about 5 minutes
- When the pasta is done, transfer it to the skillet along with ½ cup pasta water
- Increase heat to high, and cook, stirring and tossing rapidly, until a creamy, emulsified sauce forms and coats the noodles
- Remove from heat, add remaining olive oil, and stir well to combine
- Top with freshly chopped parsley and cheese (if using)
LOOKING FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES?
Subscribe to our newsletter to get family friendly healthy recipes delivered to your inbox. You can also find us sharing more recipes on PINTEREST and FACEBOOK.
I make this all the time! I love it, my family loves it & it’s easy to make.