A local restaurant has this Spinach salad I actually crave. Do you ever crave food? You know when you can actually taste it? You can feel the texture in your mouth. You can visualize yourself taking the first bite, closing your eyes and going “mmmmm”.
That’s what I am like with this salad. I am so in love with it that it’s the only thing I order when we go there. I know if their salad is this good, then their other entrees much be just as good too. But I just can’t bring myself to try anything else when this Spinach salad keeps calling my name.
It starts with fresh baby spinach, not the bigger leaves because they get too tough, the tender baby leaves. Then they add some red onion, fresh in season strawberries, toasted pecans, feta cheese, apples and grilled chicken.
I make my own version now at home, sometimes with chicken, sometimes without. Todays was without. What pulls this salad all together is the dressing without question.
It has a tanginess to it that lingers in your mouth. It’s a combination of red wine vinegar, good quality olive oil, Dijon mustard, some garlic, a little sugar and salt and pepper. It’s just Uh-mazing. See it dripping off the spinach leaf?
The best part about making salads is there really is no concrete recipe to follow. You can really add or omit whatever you like. But I do encourage you to try it this way first and see what you think. I think it might become your favorite salad of all time too!Print
For the salad:
- Fresh baby spinach (as much as you like)
- Some fresh mixed greens (as much as you like)
- 4–5 fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced in half
- ½ small red onion, slivered
- 6 slices nitrate free bacon, cooked and chopped (see my post on how to bake bacon)
- ¼ cup organic feta cheese
- ¼ – ½ cup cup dried cranberries
- 1 organic apple, cored and sliced thin
- ¼ cup sliced almonds (or pecans or walnuts, your choice)
For the dressing:
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Starting with the spinach, layer the salad ingredients in a bowl or on a plate. Continue with the strawberries, onion, bacon, cheese, cranberries, apple slices and nuts.
- For the dressing, combine all the ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Pour the dressing over the salad just before serving.
Recipe Source: Dressing ~ MelsKitchencafe.com