Hey there! As a mom who loves to bake for her family, I want to share one of my favorite recipes with you – Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread. It’s a delightful treat that my kids absolutely adore, and it might just become a hit in your home too.
Creating a cleaner version of chocolate chip zucchini bread has made me one happy camper. Our cleverly crafted recipe combines grated zucchini, healthier flours, applesauce, Greek yogurt, and dark chocolate chips to create a delicious and moist quick bread while keeping saturated fats to a minimum.
We’ve analyzed our recipe vs. one of the leading top 3 recipes that comes up during a Google search. Here was a quick look at the differences in just one slice:
That’s a reduction of 62% lower in calories and a whopping 73% lower in fat! Now this is a quick bread I can feel good publishing!
The Healthier Zucchini Bread
So, what makes this recipe better for you? We’ve made a few smart swaps without compromising on taste.
- Less Refined Sugar: This recipe replaces refined sugar with natural sweeteners like honey or maple syrup.
- Flour: The recipe incorporates whole wheat white flour and almond flour instead of using only all-purpose flour. “Use it in your recipes and get the fiber, vitamins and minerals of without sacrificing taste.”
- Reduced Fat Content: Traditional recipes often call for lots of oil or butter, but I’ve found that using unsweetened applesauce and Greek yogurt not only reduces the fat content but also keeps the bread wonderfully moist. It’s a win-win!
- Zucchini: Kids might not always be thrilled about veggies, but when they’re baked into this bread, they don’t even notice!
- Use of Greek Yogurt: Greek yogurt provides protein and creaminess without the excess fat found in sour cream or full-fat yogurt.
- Dark Chocolate: The recipe calls for dark chocolate chips, which typically contain a higher cocoa percentage and less added sugar compared to milk chocolate chips.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread:
- Grate Zucchini: Begin by grating about 1 medium-sized zucchini until you have approximately 1 ½ cups. Remember to squeeze out any excess moisture using a clean kitchen towel or paper towels.
- Mix Wet Ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, combine the grated zucchini, unsweetened applesauce, honey or maple syrup, Greek yogurt, eggs, and vanilla. Mix everything together until well combined.
- Whisk Dry Ingredients: In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Combine Wet and Dry Ingredients: Gradually add the dry ingredient mixture to the wet ingredients. Stir gently until the two are just combined; don’t overmix.
- Add Chocolate Chips: Gently fold in ½ cup dark chocolate chips (or semi-sweet chocolate chips)
- Bake: Pour the zucchini bread batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 45-55 minutes.
In the end, I really hope you give this amazing recipe a try! It’s a fantastic combination of flavors and textures that’ll truly delight your taste buds. We don’t have to completely get rid of these delicious recipes, we just have to modify them a bit!
MORE GREAT BREAD RECIPES:
CHOCOLATE CHIP ZUCCHINI BREAD
Like this recipe? Pin it to your BREAD board!
Have you tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. And consider following me on Facebook and Pinterest!Print
- 1 ½ Cups Grated zucchini (about 1 medium-sized zucchini)
- ½ Cup Unsweetened applesauce
- ⅓ Cup Honey or maple syrup (adjust sweetness to your liking)
- ¼ Cup Plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 ½ Cups Whole Wheat White flour (you can use a blend of whole wheat and all-purpose flour if desired)
- ½ Cup Almond flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- ½ Cup Dark chocolate chips (or semi-sweet chocolate chips)
- Cooking spray or parchment paper, for greasing the loaf pan
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a standard 9×5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray or line it with parchment paper, leaving some overhang for easy removal later.
- Grate the zucchini using a box grater or a food processor. Squeeze out any excess moisture from the grated zucchini using a clean kitchen towel or paper towels.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the grated zucchini, unsweetened applesauce, honey or maple syrup, Greek yogurt, eggs, and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, almond flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring until just combined. Be careful not to overmix; it’s okay if there are a few lumps.
- Gently fold in the dark chocolate chips until evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and spread it out evenly.
- Bake the zucchini bread in the preheated oven for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. The baking time may vary depending on your oven, so keep an eye on it after 40 minutes.
- Once baked, remove the loaf from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Then, transfer the bread to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
Nutritional Disclaimer: The provided nutritional information is an estimate and can vary based on ingredient brands and quantities. For precise details, consult a registered dietitian or use a nutrition calculator.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45-55 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 114
- Sugar: 14.5 gr
- Sodium: 238 mg
- Fat: 3.5 gr
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 gr
- Carbohydrates: 19.4 gr
- Fiber: 1.1 gr
- Protein: 3.4 gr
- Cholesterol: 38 mg