There isn’t a holiday that I can’t remember this bread being a staple on our dining room table. I look so forward to the first bite into this bread filled with cranberries and walnuts with a slathering of butter on top! Some years I think I savor it more than the turkey itself.
It is a classic quick bread and very easy to make. Fall is really the best time of year to make this it because the cranberries, oranges and walnuts are all in season.
I will forewarn you on two things. The first is it can be a bit of a pain to cut the cranberries in half because they roll around on the counter. You can certainly put them in a food processor if you don’t mind them not being uniformly cut in half.
My method is just to get a very sharp small knife and cut one at a time. It only calls for a cup so it doesn’t take THAT long. But if I’m in a rush I will use the food processor, it does get a little noisy though.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE CRANBERRY BREAD
- Dry ingredients – Flour, white sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Wet ingredients – Honey, eggs, orange juice, orange zest, and melted unsalted butter.
- Berries – either fresh or frozen!
HOW TO MAKE CRANBERRY BREAD
- Once you’ve got all your cranberries set aside sift the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and very gently fold it all together. This will take some muscle and I have broken a wooden spoon or two doing this. But the key is to not overmix!
- Bake it in the oven for approx. 55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
I think what I like the most about this bread is it isn’t doughy or soft, it has a different texture all together. It’s firm, yet soft, fresh and all the ingredients are so flavorful on the tongue.
There’s nothing I don’t like about this bread. I hope you enjoy one of our treasured family recipes.Print
- 2 Cups Unbleached Flour (I use Bob Mils)
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/2 Cup Orange Juice
- Grated Orange Zest
- 2 Tbsp Butter, melted
- 1 Cup Fresh Cranberries, cut in half or chopped in food processor
- 1/2 Cup Walnuts, chopped
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Spray a loaf pan with non cooking spray (and/or line it with parchment paper)
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Add the cranberries and stir.
- In another bowl, beat the egg and add the remaining wet ingredients.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix using a strong rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Be careful not to overmix. Gently stir in the walnuts.
- Scrape the batter into the loaf pan with the spatula and even out.
- Bake for 50-55 min, check for doneness by inserting a knife into the center of the bread.
- Allow to cool and cut into even slices. This can be served as is or with cream cheese or butter.