Alright, folks, gather ’round ’cause we’re about to talk about a healthier version of a fall classic: The Pumpkin Roll. We’re ditching the guilt and embracing the goodness with this pumpkin roll that’s lighter on the calories but heavy on the flavor.
Picture this: a delicate pumpkin-spiced cake, rolled up with a luscious, creamy filling that’ll have you saying, “Damn, that’s one tasty treat!” It’s a freakin’ legendary dessert that’ll blow your taste buds away. We’re talking about a sweet and tangy cream cheese filling that’s smoother than silk, complementing that spiced cake like a match made in heaven.
So, let’s dive in and indulge in a pumpkin roll that won’t make you regret every delicious bite!
PUMPKIN ROLL INGREDIENTS:
To make this classic pumpkin roll recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- Dry Ingredients: Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Sugar, Salt
- Wet Ingredients: Eggs, Vanilla,
- Spices: Pumpkin Pie Spice, Nutmeg, Cinnamon
- Other: Pumpkin Puree, Cream Cheese, Butter
Let’s talk about that cake.
We’re taking a white whole wheat flour, a touch of baking powder, baking soda, and a medley of warm spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin spice. Oh, and don’t forget that pinch of salt to balance it all out.
Then, we’re bringing in the star of the show—the pumpkin puree. It’s the essence of autumn, adding that unmistakable earthy sweetness and a vibrant orange hue to our cake. And to bring it all together, we’re adding eggs and a touch of vanilla extract for that perfect hint of warmth.
Once the batter is lovingly mixed, we’re spreading it onto a baking sheet, creating a thin layer of pumpkin goodness. Into the oven it goes, baking to perfection. As the aroma of spices fills the air, anticipation builds, ’cause we all know the magic is just getting started.
How to Roll a Pumpkin Roll:
- Once your pumpkin roll is baked to perfection and still warm, carefully transfer it, along with the parchment paper it’s sitting on, onto a clean and flat surface. Make sure it’s positioned with one of the shorter ends facing you, ready to be rolled up into a delicious spiral.
- Now, starting from that shorter end closest to you, use the edge of the parchment paper to gently lift and guide the cake as you roll it up.
- Take it slow and steady as you roll the cake along with the parchment paper. Use your hands to support and guide the cake, ensuring a tight, but not overly tight, roll. goodness.
- As you continue to roll, keep tucking in the cake and the parchment paper, creating a neat and snug package.
- Now, let it rest for a while as you are preparing the filling. Allow the cake to cool and settle, otherwise the cream cheese filling will melt.
The pumpkin roll is a dessert that embodies the spirit of fall and indulgence. It’s a perfect harmony of flavors, where the warmth of spices meets the creamy decadence of the filling.
With every bite, you’ll experience the comforting embrace of pumpkin and the delightful richness of cream cheese. It’s a dessert that brings people together, evoking memories of crisp autumn days and cozy gatherings.
So, get in that kitchen, embrace the pumpkin roll, and let its deliciousness take you on a journey that’ll leave you wanting more. Trust me, you won’t be disappointed. Stay hungry, my friends!
NEED MORE FALL CLASSIC RECIPES?
- How to Make a Fall Charcuterie Board – an irresistible assortment of smoky meats, velvety cheeses, tangy pickles, sliced bread and autumnal delights.
- Pumpkin French Toast with Whipped Cinnamon Butter – “Holy breakfast goodness, this is what dreams are made of!”
- Carrot Cake Muffins – ok, probably not “Fall” but they’re still orange.
CLASSIC PUMPKIN ROLL RECIPE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your FALL RECIPE board!
- ¾ Cup Unbleached White Whole Wheat Flour
- ¼ teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¾ Cup Organic Sugar
- 3 Eggs, room temperature
- 2 /3 Cup Canned Pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
FOR THE FILLING:
- 8 Ounces Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons Butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ¾ Cup Powdered Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350° F
- Line a 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan (or rimmed baking sheet) with parchment paper, leaving extra on all sides so it can be rolled after cooking – spray with cooking spray and set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg
- In another bowl mix the eggs, sugar, vanilla and pumpkin with a whisk until combined
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until combined and smooth
- Spread the batter evenly onto the pan using the back of a knife or spatula ensuring it gets all the way into the corners
- Place the batter onto the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 13-15 min or until a knife comes out clean
- Meanwhile, mix the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar together with an electric mixer until it is combined and smooth
- Immediately lift the parchment paper and hot cake out of the pan and onto a flat surface and start gently rolling the cake until it is all rolled up. Let it cool completely
- Once the cake roll is cooled completely, unroll it very carefully and begin spreading the cream cheese over the cake
- Again, roll up the cake but this time w/o the parchment paper
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 13-15 min