My husband and I went to a local cooking class for Valentine’s Day. It was more of a demonstration than an actual hands on kind of thing. The chef’s name was Mary and to say she is a phenomenal cook is an understatement. She is well known in our area and does tons of cooking demonstrations throughout the year.
Anyway, she is a professional chef, which I am not, but aspire to be. You can always tell the difference between those who are professionally trained and those who aren’t. They use foods we common folk never heard of or are afraid of ~ am I right?
She made this leek, poached egg and prosciutto appetizer that just melted in my mouth! And as I was eating it I got to thinking … my recipes are kind of run of the mill lately…trying to satisfy 4 different taste buds isn’t always easy. I think it’s time I kick it up a notch and start getting creative.
This is what I came up with:
Eggs with Roasted Asparagus, Bacon & Avocado Hollandaise Sauce
It’s a whole lot easier than you think and start to finish was under 15 min. Here’s how I did it:
- Cleaned up my asparagus, put it on a baking sheet with a olive oil and some salt and pepper and roasted in an oven preheated at 400. I put a few strips on bacon on the same pan and in 10 min they were both ready to go. You don’t have to serve the asparagus or bacon hot, it’s actually better at room temperature.
- As that was cooking, I made my avocado hollandaise sauce, which again takes very little time or ingredients. It’s just a half an avocado, ⅓ cup warm water, a little lemon juice and olive oil blended . Easy, right? I told you.
- The last step is to fry 2 eggs and put it all on a plate.
I hope you like it!
- Put a piece of toast underneath
- Add a slice of tomato
- Use prosciutto instead of bacon
- Poach the egg instead of fry
- Use sliced avocado instead of Hollandaise sauce
- 2 Large Eggs
- 6 Spears Asparagus, trimmed and peeled
- 2 Slices No Nitrate Bacon
- ½ Avocado
- 2 teaspoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- ⅓ Cup Warm Water
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
For the asparagus & bacon:
- Using a peeler, lightly peel the asparagus, then bend until it snaps naturally .
- Place them on a baking sheet with a little olive oil and salt and pepper and roast at 400° F for 10 minutes.
- Add the bacon.
For the Hollandaise Sauce:
- Cut an avocado in half and scoop out the middle.
- Place it in a food processor or blender.
- Add ⅓ cup warm water, lemon juice, olive oil and blend.
- Once the asparagus and bacon are done, remove them from the oven and begin frying your eggs.
For the eggs:
- Place a small skillet over med/high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter and when it’s sizzling, slowly crack your egg and gently place it in the pan.
- Fry it until the whites are solid white and you can’t see through them anymore.