While you don’t have to search far to find a tasty hummus recipe, it’s hard to find an irresistible one. Meet this scrumptious, irresistible Garlic Roasted Hummus! It’s the best, most addictive hummus recipe!
Hummus is a Middle Eastern dip or spread made from cooked, mashed chickpeas. Hummus recipes generally include olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and a combination of spices. The garlic in this recipe intensifies the natural garlic taste of the hummus.
It is a great dip with veggies like carrot sticks, celery, or homemade pita chips or to use as a spread on a wrap or sandwich. We love hummus so much in our house we have at least 4 versions of it, even one with pumpkin!
But there is a secret to getting that buttery, smooth hummus.
How to Make a Smooth Roasted Garlic Hummus
- Chickpeas (or Garbanzo beans) – chickpeas are one of two bases that make up hummus. Now here’s the thing, there is a lot of controversy surrounding canned or dried chickpeas. For the sake of time, we are using canned. HOWEVER, and here is where the secret is – you must peel them.
- It’s super simple to do. You just grab a chickpea and squeeze until it comes out of the little ‘skin’ it’s in. This really will make all the difference in your end result. It makes it so super smooth.
TIP: Don’t throw away the liquid that is in the can. We use that to help thin out the hummus.
- Tahini – This is the 2nd part of the base. Tahini is made from ground sesame seeds and is easily found in grocery stores. Be sure to really shake it up as it tends to settle and get very thick on the bottom.
- Roasted Garlic – A prep step here that will take about a half an hour. Simply grab an entire bulb of garlic, place it on a piece of foil and drizzle some olive oil on it. Roast it at 400°F for about 30 minutes. Once it cools a little, simply squeeze the garlic right out. It smells amazing. Then crush it in a little bowl with a fork until it’s smooth.
- Spices – We’ve got some cumin, parmesan cheese and fresh lemon to balance out this delicious hummus.
So what’s the secret to great hummus?
- Well, I let you in on the first secret. Be sure to peel the chickpeas.
- The next secret is to place the chickpeas in the food processor first and give it a few pulses to break them up.
- Then add everything else except the oil. Drizzle that in from the top.
- The real secret is in the can! This is called aquafab and it’s what makes the hummus so light and fluffy.
More Easy Hummus Recipes
Did you enjoy our roasted garlic hummus? Then you might enjoy these recipes too:
- Try our Roasted Red Pepper Hummus, my personal favorite. This is similar to this recipe, only we roast peppers instead of garlic. It is the bomb.
- Our Roasted Pumpkin Hummus is made by roasting a slice of pumpkin, but don’t worry, you can always used canned.
- Any of these hummus recipes would pair perfectly with our Grilled Greek Chicken Kebabs.
- But nothing says Mediterranean quite like our Falafel Bowls. Add a spoonful of hummus to go alongside.
The BEST Garlic Roasted Hummus
Homemade hummus is super simple to make and we have tons of advice to help you get the SMOOTHEST hummus ever!
- 1–15 oz Can Garbanzo beans (also called chickpeas) drained and rinsed, reserving liquid
- 1 Head Garlic (roasted in foil drizzled with oil at 400°F for 30 min, then mashed)
- ¼ Cup Tahini, stirred well
- ¼ Cup Grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Cumin
- 2 Tablespoons Freshly Squeezed Lemon juice
- ¼ – ½ Cup Olive oil
- Reserved chickpea liquid or water (depending on thickness)
- sea salt, to taste
- Peel the skins off of all the chickpeas.
- Place the chickpeas into the food processor and pulse until they are somewhat mashed.
- Add the chopped garlic, tahini, parmesan, pepper, cumin, and lemon juice.
- Slowly drizzle in the olive oil until it’s all incorporated and creamy, at least 2 minutes drizzling in the reserved liquid.
- Serve in a bowl with drizzled olive oil on top and garnished with paprika.
Gluten free hummus with real ingredients. Yum!