If you love chocolate, these double chocolate chip muffins are going to knock your socks off! They’re incredibly moist, fudgy and full of chocolate chips.
I am a HUGE breakfast lover and on most weekdays I’ll have something simple like oatmeal or eggs and coffee. On the weekends when I have more time I’ll make Blueberry pancakes or this incredibly popular Spinach Quiche.
But, if I’m honest, there are times when I am craving those ginormous muffins at Costco which probably have the fat and calories to match. So I decided to make my own bakery style muffins that come in under 330 calories.
Double Chocolate Chip Muffin Ingredients
These muffins aren’t much different than your typical muffins, but there are a few things I wanted to point out.
- Cocoa Powder – Use an unsweetened one and since we want these muffins to have a deep chocolate flavor, try and find a good quality cocoa powder. You can also use extra dark chocolate too.
- Oil – many muffins use melted butter in the recipe, however, cocoa powder is very very dry and butter will only dry it out more. Oil is recommended whenever using dry powders and I don’t use vegetable oil, I use olive oil and I’ve never had a problem baking with it.
- Chocolate Chips – I personally use Lily’s Baking Chips (no affiliation) because they have no sugar. You will also notice that they are mixed in with the dry ingredients. That’s so they get coated in the dry ingredients and will mix better throughout the batter. Semi-sweet chocolate chips are also an option, just keep in mind the muffins will be much higher in sugar as well as carbohydrates.
- Yogurt – yogurt is sometimes added to help keep the muffins moist without a lot of added oil. Also, the acid in the yogurt activates the baking soda, yielding a fluffier muffin. Please do not use Greek yogurt for this recipe.
- Simply mix the dry ingredients in one bowl and the ROOM TEMPERATURE wet ingredients in another.
- Combine them until just mixed.
- The batter will be thick, dark chocolate and delicious. Simply spoon the batter into a lined muffin tin and bake.
Make Ahead and Storage:
- Store these muffins in a sealed bag over the counter for up to four days, or seven days in the fridge (they’ll get harder, though).
- This is a freezer-friendly recipe. They’ll last for up to three months. To reheat them, place them on a plate and microwave for 60-120 seconds or until warmed through.
These chocolate chip muffins are super chocolaty, so rich, moist and full of chocolate chips. They are freezer friendly, so make 2 batches!
- 2 ½ Cups Unbleached Flour
- ½ Cup Cocoa powder
- 1 Cup Plain Unsweetened Yogurt
- 1 Cup Chocolate chips (divided)
- 2 teaspoons Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ Cup Olive Oil (you can replace this with applesauce)
- 2 Large Eggs
- ¾ Cup Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 350° F. Place 12 muffin liners in a muffin pan. Set it aside.
- Mix the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt) and ¾ cup chocolate chips in a bowl.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add the yogurt, vanilla extract, and oil. Whisk to combine.
- Incorporate the dry ingredients with wet ingredients until well combined.
- Divide the muffin batter into the twelve muffin liners. Sprinkle with the remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then place them onto a cooling wire rack, so they don’t get moist in the bottom.
- Drizzle with melted chocolate if desired.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 20-22 min
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Calories: 330
- Sodium: 190
- Fat: 14
- Carbohydrates: 44
- Fiber: 6.3
- Protein: 2.5
- Cholesterol: 35 mg
LOOKING FOR MORE MUFFIN RECIPES?
- These Carrot Cake Muffins have ALL the flavor of carrot cake in a muffin!
- We haven’t forgotten our Gluten free followers – we’re getting great feedback on these Gluten Free Sweet Potato muffins. I know, it’s sounds weird, you just have to trust us.
- If keto is your thing, then these Keto Chocolate Chip muffins will be your thing. They are also gluten free.