My daughter went to a birthday party at a Hibachi Steakhouse over the summer and she came back raving about it!! “Mom I LOVE the rice, and the chef put an egg in his hat!” “You should have seen it!” “It was soooo good!”
While I will admit Hibachis are both entertaining and fun for the little ones, their food is anything but a healthy choice. So I promised her I would try and recreate at least their rice, which was her favorite part.
When you make fried rice at home you have the luxury of choosing your ingredients. This recipe is simple, yet knee slapping, “did I really make this?” delicious.
All you need to make this is cooked brown rice, some peas and carrots, onion and garlic, eggs and Tamari. Tamari is a type of soy sauce that doesn’t contain any MSG.
HOW TO MAKE CHINESE FRIED RICE:
1. You want to start by cooking your rice up to a day in advance. Some say the rice should be a day old, but either way just make sure it’s not JUST cooked. Cook it earlier in the day and let it cool in the fridge.
2. Get the largest skillet you have and let it heat up over high heat for a few minutes (not until it’s smoking though). Add 2 Tbsp oil and then the butter. When the butter has melted, add the onions and carrots and sauté them for a few minutes or until soft.
3. Push them to the side and add the garlic on top. Add the eggs to the other side of the skillet making sure to block them from running under the veggies.
4. Chop them up with your spatula
5. Add the cooked rice, peas and Tamari and stir it all together. You’re done!
You have now just made the most incredibly delicious fried rice at home!
This turned out SOOoooo GOOD! I just love cooking from scratch!
My son was home while I was ‘testing’ in the kitchen and he was my taste tester for the day.
I think he has decided to pursue this as a long term career.
Chinese Fried Rice at home that is loads healthier than take out. So easy to make you’ll wonder why you haven’t done this sooner.
- 3 Cups Precooked Brown Rice (I used the bags from Success and I used 3 of them for this recipe)
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Organic Butter
- ½ Cup Organic Onion, chopped
- ½ – 1 Cup Organic Carrot, peeled and diced small
- 3 teaspoons Organic Garlic, minced
- ½ Cup Frozen Peas
- 2 Large Organic Eggs, beaten (with a little milk or water)
- 4–5 Tablespoons Tamari
NOTE: Make sure to use cooked, cooled rice
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil – then the butter
- Add the onions and carrots and cook approx. 3-4 min until tender, but don’t brown the onion
- Push the veggies to the side of the skillet and add the garlic on top
- Add the eggs to the other side of the pan ensuring they don’t go underneath the veggies
- Cook the eggs through, chopping up with the spatula
- Combine the eggs and veggies
- Add the rice, peas and Tamari – stir and heat through
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS:
Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes