This gluten free cornbread is so moist and delicious even non gluten people prefer making it to regular cornbread!
I have never had a reason to make gluten free cornbread until my daughter started having a reaction to gluten and to be honest, it took me a few tries to get this one right.
On my first attempt I used a huge cast iron skillet (which I truly believe ALL cornbread should be made in) but it came out way too thin.
My second mistake was I cut it like a pizza pie and the third mistake was it was waaay too dry so it just crumbled before you could even get it into your mouth.
Many epic failures with that one.
The next time I at least got them thicker by using an 8×8 pan, but still way too dry.
Then came the perfect one….
It has just the right amount of moisture, just the right texture, just the right thickness and best of all …. no flour!
I just upped the amount of cornmeal in the recipe, which at first sounded like the right thing to do, but I didn’t ‘up’ the other ingredients along with it. So, basically I played with it until it came out great.
Not good, but GREAT!
Please be sure ALL your ingredients are at room temperature before making this cornbread.
For those who are interested, this is the cornmeal I used for this recipePrint
A gluten free cornbread that is great, if not better than original cornbread
- 2 Cups Cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 2 Organic Eggs, room temperature and lightly beaten
- 1 ½ Cups Organic Sour Cream
- ¼ Cup Whole Organic Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 4 Tablespoons Organic Melted Butter, cooled slightly
- Preheat the oven to 400
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisk
- Whisk the eggs, sour cream, milk and honey together in a separate bowl
- Melt the butter and let it cool slightly
- Add the butter to the wet ingredients and stir to combine
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir
- Pour into a lightly greased 8×8 baking pan and bake at 400 for approx. 20-25 minutes