Here’s another quick and easy one skillet meal that is sure to please everyone. Ground Beef Stroganoff can be on the dinner table in less than 20 minutes. It is one of the best recipes for busy nights.
If you have no idea what to make for dinner and just don’t feel like cooking then this Ground Beef Stroganoff should be in your rotation.
This really is a simple go to meal. There is very little thinking involved. It is so classic and so comforting and it is done in under 30 min ~ add a veggie and a salad and dinner is served!
Most ground beef stroganoff recipes call for that nasty cream of chemical soup. This recipe does not have any creamed soups, which I love!
What kind of beef should I use?
There are many versions of Beef Stroganoff on the internet, some even use steak or venison. This recipe uses everyday economical ground beef.
Since the ground beef is in a cream sauce I would recommend keeping the beef on the leaner side -at least 85-90% lean. If you are using a higher fat beef, I would recommend browning it first at least half way through, drain the fat and then add the vegetables.
What is stroganoff?
It is best described as a creamy hamburger casserole that is best served over egg noodles. It is a frugal version of the BEEF stroganoff with all the flavor and comfort.
How to make Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Brown the beef in a Dutch oven or large skillet
2. Add the onions, garlic and mushrooms. Add the cream cheese.
3. Combine the broth with the flour until completely dissolved and add to the skillet.
4. Simmer until combined.
5. Remove from heat and add the sour cream.Print
Ground Beef Stroganoff
A true American classic comfort food. Seasoned ground beef is combined with a sauce made from beef broth, milk, flour and sour cream. Serve over your favorite egg noodles.
- 2 lbs. Ground Beef
- 1 Small Onion, diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 8 oz. Mushrooms, sliced
- 4 oz. Cream Cheese
- 2 Cups Beef Broth
- ½ Cup Whole Milk
- 3 Tbsp Flour
- ½ Cup Sour Cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Brown the beef, along with the onions and mushrooms in a large skillet over medium high heat. Drain the grease if necessary. Add the garlic and stir around.
- Lower the heat to low and add the cream cheese. Cover the skillet and allow it to melt (approx. 2-5 minutes.)
- Meanwhile, combine the beef broth and milk in a glass measuring cup. Add the flour and stir until there are no lumps.
- Stir the meat to incorporate the melted cream cheese, then add the broth mixture. Stir again.
- Bring it to a boil and then simmer for approximate 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the sour cream and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over noodles of your choice.
I can’t find the recipe 🙁 this is a family favorite and I usually click on the recipe from this link. But, for some reason I can’t seem to find it this time.
thank you! I rummaged through my printed copies and found it! It should be back to normal now.
This was excellent! I used the whole 8 oz block of cream cheese and added more salt, pepper, garlic than called for. I also used some dried parsley flakes. I’ll definitely be making it again. Thanks so much for creating wonderful recipes without the horrible cream soups!!!
I made this on Saturday and it was a hit with the hubby. Due to some health issues, I make things extra saucy. So used only one pound of hamburger but kept all other ingredients the same. He loved it. I don’t like hamburger and noodles so I didn’t taste it.