This Mediterranean Spinach, Cannellini Bean, and Barley Soup is a nourishing dish that will warm your heart and satisfy your taste buds. Plus, it’s a breeze to make, perfect for busy days when you want a satisfying meal without spending hours in the kitchen.
As a stay-at-home mom, preparing hearty and nutritious meals for your family is a labor of love. Today, we’re diving into the world of comforting soups, and I’m excited to share a recipe that’s not only delicious but also packed with wholesome ingredients.
A Twist on Traditional Soup: What makes this soup special is its Mediterranean-inspired flavors. It’s a departure from the ordinary and brings a burst of fresh, earthy tastes to your table. This recipe is not just about food; it’s about creating an experience that combines simplicity and robust flavor.
Ingredients That Shine: This soup boasts an array of wholesome ingredients, from colorful carrots, onions, and celery to the vibrant green of spinach. It’s a medley of textures and tastes, and the addition of pearl barley and cannellini beans gives it a hearty, satisfying quality.
A Nutrient-Packed Delight: While I can’t delve into specific nutritional details, I can assure you that this soup is loaded with vitamins, minerals, and fiber. It’s a wholesome choice that will leave you feeling nourished and energized.
Cooking with Ease: The beauty of this recipe is its simplicity. With a few easy-to-follow steps, you’ll have a steaming bowl of homemade goodness ready to serve. Whether it’s a chilly evening or a busy weekday, this soup is your go-to solution for a comforting family dinner.
Versatile and Adaptable: Feel free to make this recipe your own. You can customize it by adding your favorite veggies or herbs. Don’t hesitate to experiment with spices or adjust the quantities to suit your family’s taste preferences.
Conclusion: Mediterranean Spinach, Cannellini Bean, and Barley Soup is a delightful addition to your home-cooked meal repertoire. It’s a testament to the joy of preparing delicious, nutritious dishes for your loved ones. So, put on your apron, gather your ingredients, and let’s get cooking!Print
- 2 Tablespoons good quality olive oil
- 1 cup carrots, diced (1 large or 2 small)
- 1 cup onion, diced (1 small)
- 1 cup celery, chopped (2 stalks)
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 64 oz. vegetable stock (about 1 ½ boxes or homemade)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes (preferably no salt)
- ¾ cup small pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup parsley (stems included)
- 3–4 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 (15 oz.) can cannellini beans, drained and thoroughly rinsed
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Crumbled Feta cheese for topping before serving
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the carrots, onion and celery and saute for 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute another minute more. Add the zucchini.
- Stir in the vegetable broth, tomatoes, barley, oregano, thyme, bay leaf and season with salt and pepper to taste. This will depend on if your veg broth is low sodium as well as the diced tomatoes.
- Stir to combine and lay the parsley on top of the soup. Bring it just to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove the parsley and bay leaf.
- Stir in the lemon juice and spinach.
- Cook for another 10 minutes or until the spinach is wilted and the barley is soft.