Finally! A healthy cookie made with oats and whole wheat flour that is sweetened with a little maple syrup and sugar free chocolate chips. Even the glaze is sugar free!
Everyone wants to indulge in a treat once in a while and once you start eliminating processed, store bought cookies from your house, well, the cupboards can look a little bare.
I’ll be honest here, we don’t have a lot of dessert type of recipes on our site because it’s hard to please everyone so when we do come up with a winner in our house, then we have to share it!
These oat cookies are made primarily with oats of course, but also whole wheat flour. We have listed the ingredients for a gluten free option in the recipe section also.
How to make these healthy Whole Wheat Oat Cookies
Making these cookies is really quite simple with the help of a little food processor.
- Pulse the oats a few times breaking them down. Add the rest of the dry ingredients and give it a whirl to combine.
- Combine the wet ingredients along with the melted butter.
- Combine the two together and fold in the chocolate chips.
- Roll some dough into a ball and flatten on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
These cookies will not spread on the baking sheet, so the size you shape them in to will be the size they come out.
Once the cookies are cool enough you can drizzle a nice glaze on top of them if you want. This glaze is not your typical sugar glaze. It’s made with Greek yogurt, vanilla and a little more maple syrup!Print
- 1 Cup Rolled Oats
- 3/4 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 Cup Maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tablespoons melted Butter
- 1/4 Cup Dark chocolate chunks or chips (Lilys make a sugar free option)
Gluten Free Option (replace the whole wheat flour with below):
- 1/2 Cup Almond flour
- 1/8 Cup Tapioca flour
- 1/8 Cup Rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Xanthum gum
For the drizzle:
- 2 Tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Maple syrup
- Preheat an oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Pulse the oats in a food processor a few times to break them into smaller pieces. Add the whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Give it a few pulses.
- In a large bowl combine the egg, maple syrup and melted butter. Whisk until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until a batter forms and it is evenly mixed.
- Fold in the chocolate chips/chunks.
- Take out approximately 1 Tablespoon of dough and roll it into a ball and flatten it on the cookie sheet. Repeat until the cookie sheet is full.
- Bake for 10–12 minutes or until the edges start to turn golden.
- Let it cool completely on a wire rack.
!For the drizzle –
- Once the cookies are cooled completely, mix all the ingredients for the drizzle in a bowl and drizzle over the cookies.