You will see quite a few lemon recipes on here. They are all different from one another in some way.
You would think I would just keep things simple and use the same recipe for both a lemon poppy cake and muffins.
But I don’t. I have to continuously push the envelope.
And so … I bring you my latest lemon poppy seed muffin. The difference between the 2 recipes is:
- These muffins have a yogurt base (vs. buttermilk)
- I used white whole wheat flour (vs. whole wheat and all purpose)
- Almost TRIPLED the lemon juice … and
- SLASHED the oil from 1/3 of a cup to 1 Tablespoon
So as you can see, they are very different from one another, but both yummy in their own way.
There is PLENTY of lemony flavor and between the egg, vanilla, yogurt and milk you don’t miss the oil. There is still plenty of moisture and not all the fat.
As a matter of fact I’ve calculated these muffins (if you make 12) to come in under 138 calories each, but more importantly LESS THAN .6 grams of fat!
Now that’s a muffin I’m ok with eating!Print
These lemony light muffins only use 1 tablespoon of oil. They are moist, packed with lemon flavor and won’t make you feel guilty.
- 2 Cups White Whole Wheat Flour (King Arthur makes one)
- 3 Tablespoons Poppy Seeds
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Freshly Grated Lemon Zest (1–2 LARGE lemons)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1 Large Organic Egg
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 2/3 Cup Organic Cane Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Plain Organic Greek Yogurt
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup Organic Whole Milk (just shy)
- Preheat the oven to 350 and prepare muffin tins by lining them
- Whisk the first 6 ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Whisk the oil, applesauce, egg and vanilla in another bowl.
- Mix the sugar, yogurt, lemon juice and milk in another bowl.
- Add about 1/3 of the flour mixture to the egg and stir. Add about 1/2 the milk, Repeat ending with flour.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tins and bake between 15-18 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Recipe Source: HappilyUnprocessed.com
I used all organic ingredients when making this recipe, and hope you do too! 🙂