You will see quite a few lemon recipes on here. They are all different from one another in some way.
You would think I would just keep things simple and use the same recipe for both a lemon poppy cake and muffins.
But I don’t. I have to continuously push the envelope.
And so … I bring you my latest lemon poppy seed muffin. The difference between the 2 recipes is:
- These muffins have a yogurt base (vs. buttermilk)
- I used white whole wheat flour (vs. whole wheat and all purpose)
- Almost TRIPLED the lemon juice … and
- SLASHED the oil from ⅓ of a cup to 1 Tablespoon
So as you can see, they are very different from one another, but both yummy in their own way.
There is PLENTY of lemony flavor and between the egg, vanilla, yogurt and milk you don’t miss the oil. There is still plenty of moisture and not all the fat.
As a matter of fact I’ve calculated these muffins (if you make 12) to come in under 138 calories each, but more importantly LESS THAN .6 grams of fat!
Now that’s a muffin I’m ok with eating!Print
Lemon Yogurt Poppy Seed Muffins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
These lemony light muffins only use 1 tablespoon of oil. They are moist, packed with lemon flavor and won’t make you feel guilty.
- 2 Cups White Whole Wheat Flour (King Arthur makes one)
- 3 Tablespoons Poppy Seeds
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Freshly Grated Lemon Zest (1–2 LARGE lemons)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1 Large Organic Egg
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 /3 Cup Sugar
- ½ Cup Plain Organic Greek Yogurt
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- ½ Cup Whole Milk (just shy)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare muffin tins by lining them with cupcake liners.
- Whisk the first 6 ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Whisk the oil, applesauce, egg and vanilla in another bowl.
- Mix the sugar, yogurt, lemon juice and milk in another bowl.
- Add about 1 /3 of the flour mixture to the egg and stir. Add about ½ the milk, Repeat ending with flour.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tins and bake between 15-18 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
Recipe Source: HappilyUnprocessed.com
I used all organic ingredients when making this recipe, and hope you do too! 🙂
These are delicious. You may want to correct some text in the instructions that went wonky in two places. &frac13 &frac23
Thanks Rizi – we’ve been having a few technical difficulties recently. All fixed 🙂
These sound delicious can’t wait to try- my only question is, is oven at 350 Farenheit or Centigrade? Thanks 🙂
Just made these and they are so yummy and I don’t feel that bad eating them 😀 Thanks so much for recipe!
Hi Debi, What ratio would you say if I only have whole wheat flour and all purpose. Can I combine the two and still use the same wet to dry ratio??
i LOVE how you separate the recipie by the number of bowls. Genius!!! Thank you for doing that!
yum!!! Just made these, I had raw sugar and plain flour so not as healthy but still Delish. Thank you for the recipe
you’re very welcome
can you use sugar substitute?