Creamy garlic parmesan risotto with crispy roasted lemon pepper chicken on top ~ all cooked in ONE PAN !
It’s a very comforting dinner with a lemon pepper chicken and creamy garlic and parmesan risotto, but I don’t want the risotto to intimidate you. It is started on the stove but finishes up in the oven.
It’s genius really!
Trust me on this one, if you are one of those people who shies away from make risotto this dish is totally for you!
You start by searing some bone in chicken thighs in a skillet (preferably cast iron, I can’t tell you how much I use these pans). This takes about 8 minutes or so. It’s just to get the skin to a golden brown color. It will finish cooking in the oven. Set it aside while you prepare the risotto.
The risotto is as easy as sauteeing some onion and garlic in the same pan, adding the rice, wine and broth. The ratio to rice is a little more important with this dish because you don’t have the luxury of watching it cook on the stove and decided when enough is enough. So be sure to measure as accurately as you can.
Then, nestle the chicken back into the risotto and put it in the oven to finish cooking.
I will forewarn you on this though … if you use a cast iron pan like I did, it is flipping HEAVY. My suggestion would be to put the pan in the oven BEFORE putting the chicken in it. It just makes things easier and there is less of a potential for it spilling all over your oven.
This recipe is on the bland side, meaning your little toddlers and picky eaters in the family will love it. Adding FRESH herbs to this dish will do wonders so I encourage you to pick up some fresh parsley, thyme or oregano to add to it.
But you really can’t go wrong with all the creaminess of the risotto and the lovely lemon pepper flavor of the chicken. It’s a great combination!
- 1–2 Tablespoon(s) Olive Oil
- 5 Organic Chicken Thighs (bone in)
- 3–5 Tablespoons Lemon Pepper Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon Organic Butter
- 5 cloves Organic Garlic, minced
- 3/4 Cup Organic Onion, diced finely
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 Cups Arborio Rice
- 1/2 Cup White Wine
- 3 3/4 Cups Chicken Stock
- 1 Cup Organic Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Pepper Seasoning
To Finish the Dish:
- 1 Cup Freshly Grated Organic Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Tablespoons Organic Butter
- 1/4 Cup Whole Organic Milk
- Preheat the oven to 350° F
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- Rinse the chicken thighs and pat dry. Coat the chicken with the lemon pepper seasonings. This is just an approx. measurement, feel free to add more so the entire thigh is coated
- Heat the oil in a large skillet (preferably cast iron) until hot. Place the chicken in the pan skin side down and let it sear for a good 3-4 minutes. Take a peak and turn when nice and golden. Flip and cook the other side for another 3-4 minutes
- Remove the chicken and keep warm on a plate
FOR THE RISOTTO:
- Add a Tablespoon of oil and a Tablespoon of butter to the pan. Add the onion and saute over low heat for approx. 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another minute more
- Add the rice and stir until the grains start to turn opaque, a few minutes, stirring often
- Carefully add the wine and cook until the wine has evaporated
- Add the chicken broth, milk, lemon pepper seasoning and a little salt and pepper. Stir to combine while bringing to a simmer
- Carefully transfer the pan to the stove and layer the chicken on top. Cover with a lid (or foil) and bake for 20 minutes
- Remove the lid (or foil) and continue cooking another 5-10 minutes – check the rice that it is not mushy. You still want some liquid in there. It will not be all soaked in at this point
- Remove the dish from the oven and remove the chicken to a plate
- Finish making the risotto by adding the parmesan cheese, butter and milk. Stir to incorporate. Return chicken on top to serve or spoon risotto onto a separate dish. Garnish with fresh parsley, thyme or oregano
Recipe Slightly Adapted from: Recipe Tin Eats
I used all organic ingredients when possible when making this recipe, and hope you do too! 🙂