Roasting vegetables always brings their flavor to the forefront which is unmistakable in this soup, but once you combine that with the subtle hint of spices and lastly the cream this soup goes to award winning status.
This is BY FAR one of my favorite soups and I can hardly wait for Fall to come around so I can make it.
The sweetness of the butternut squash and sweet potatoes, the hardiness of the carrots and warm spices, is just like fall in a bowl.
The hardest part is wrestling with your butternut squash, But have no fear …. we have a post on just how to do it.
Once you get those vegetables on a baking sheet and in the oven you will begin to understand just how good this is going to be.
My objective with taking this picture was to show you the size in which I cut up the veggies. You want pretty good sized chunks, but most importantly the same SIZED chunks.
But once the veggies are nice and roasted I threw them in with the onions and garlic that were sauteeing away in a pot on the stove. Then added the broth, spices and cream.
I, of course, use Homemade Chicken Broth. I always make it with no salt added so I can taste and add it to whatever I am making.
Once you have everything (except the cream) you can either emulsify the soup using an immersion blender like I have or very carefully blend it in a blender. Then let the soup simmer for 15 minutes or so.
Taste it for seasoning and thickness. I had to add a little more broth because like I said there’s a lot of veggies in there and depending on whether you use full sodium, low sodium or homemade broth, that will play in to how much salt you need to add.
This soup is very healthy, very low fat, very low sodium, gluten free.
If you’re going to have soup, make it GOOD soup and you have to top it with Whole Wheat Buttery Garlic Homemade Croutons!
It totally takes the soup to another happy level.
- 5 cups butternut squash, diced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled & chopped roughly
- ½ cup white onion, diced
- 2 Cloves Organic Garlic
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups Organic Vegetable broth
- 2 Cups Organic Chicken Broth
- 1/2 Cup Whole Organic Milk
- 1/4 Cup Whole Organic Heavy Cream
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- Place the carrots, butternut squash & sweet potato in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the veggies on 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper and roast 35-40 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile saute the onions in a saucepan with 1-2 Tablespoons of olive oil until translucent (approx. 4 min). Add the garlic, stir and cook another minute.
- Add the roasted vegetables, vegetable and chicken broth and spices.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth. Take the soup off the heat and add the milk and cream. Stir to combine. Add more broth or cream if you desire until you get the consistency you like.