I am a seafood lover, as most of you know, with shrimp cocktail ranking in the Top 3 of my all time favorite foods.
I have ALWAYS boiled my shrimp when making shrimp cocktail until one day The Universe told me to turn on the TV and there was Ina Garten from the Food Network making shrimp cocktail (out in her Hamptons house of course).
But in true Ina fashion, she wasn’t taking the easy, boring and bland boiling road … she was ROASTING them!
Interest totally peaked.
She peeled the shrimp (well no she didn’t … she doesn’t peel anything, she HAD the shrimp peeled and deveined) and I watched her season them, coat them in a little olive oil and some spices and put them on a baking sheet and pop them in the oven!
again … WHAT???!!
Well I HAD to try this. And man am I glad I did. Now a word of warning here, if you are used to bland boiled shrimp, these not only have tons more flavor but they are also a little messier. There will be a need for some stand by napkins.
Did someone say shrimp cocktail, garlic and napkins!
I changed the recipe just a tad as hers did not include garlic. You can omit if you wish but I found it to be delicious and different from plain old boring boiled shrimp. Dipping these ice cold babies in the cocktail sauce with all the spice and flavor is what I call heaven!
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined leaving tail on
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅛ cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- fresh Black pepper
FOR THE SHRIMP:
- Preheat the oven to 400 F
- Peel and devein the shrimp leaving the tails on. Place the shrimp in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil and seasonings.
- Place in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Roast for 8 – 10 min or until they turn pink. Place in the refrigerator until completely chilled.
FOR THE COCKTAIL SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup Organic Ketchup
- 3 Tablespoons Horseradish
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar (optional)
Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
PIN IT FOR LATER!