Lean chicken breasts are stuffed with basil, sun dried tomatoes, mozzarella cheese and baked in a delicious sweet balsamic glaze.
This is one of those “I don’t want to think” types of recipes. Almost all of the ingredients are on hand. It comes together in a snap and it’s delicious.
What’s not to love about that?
Chicken breasts are stuffed with fresh basil and sun dried tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. They are baked in a balsamic glaze that gets reduced down and turns thick, sticky and caramelized.
HOW TO MAKE STUFFED CHICKEN CAPRESE:
- Place your hand on top of the chicken breast and carefully cut a slit from end to end being extra careful not to cut completely through. The cheese will end up oozing out into the pan instead of getting all nice and melty inside the chicken if you do.
- Season the chicken breasts with a little salt, pepper and oregano, both outside and in the pocket.
- Then place some basil leaves, sun dried tomatoes and mozzarella cheese inside the chicken.
- Saute the chicken in a large skillet over medium high heat just until it gets a nice golden color on it on both sides. Don’t cook it all the way though.
- Very carefully pour the glaze AROUND the chicken, not ON the chicken. Nothing happens if you do, but the chicken unfortunately turns a very ugly grayish color from the glaze.
- When the chicken is cooked through to 160, remove it from the oven and spoon a little of that now caramelized beautiful balsamic glaze over the chicken just before plating.
- 3–4 Chicken Breasts, lightly pounded to flatten
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- Sea Salt and Fresh Black Pepper and Paprika
- ½ Cup Sun Dried Tomatoes in oil (sliced into strips)
- 4 Thick Slices Mozzarella Cheese
- Fresh Basil leaves
FOR THE GLAZE:
- 1 /3 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard (not the grainy kind)
- 2–3 cloves Organic Garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- Preheat the oven to 350° F
- Whisk together the balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, garlic and onion powder in a small bowl.
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken with paper towels. Working on a flat cutting board, using a sharp knife, horizontally cut a pocket into each chicken breast, be careful not to cut all the way through.
- Season the inside of each breast with a little salt, pepper and oregano.
- Layer each breast with a few basil leaves, the mozzarella cheese slice and top with sun dried tomatoes. Secure using toothpick or skewer on the diagonal. Season the outside of the chicken with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Heat a few teaspoons of oil into a heated hot cast iron pan. Place the chicken in the pan and sear both sides (approx. 2-4 minutes).
- Pour the balsamic glaze AROUND the pan making sure not to get it on the chicken itself (nothing bad will happen it just turns the chicken an unappealing gray color).
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and cook for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly and chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and remove the toothpicks. Drizzle with balsamic glaze.