great twist on an American staple summer food. Coleslaw is combined with crisp apples, dried cranberries and slivered almonds added in. Yogurt, mayo, honey and vinegar make this dressing stellar!
How in the world can you have a bbq without coleslaw? I mean it’s creamy, it’s crunchy and it’s best when it’s ICE COLD and it mixes with the other food on the plate.
But, by the end of summer I find I am bored with the same old side dishes so I wanted to start this season off with a twist on the old classics.
I cannot take credit for this recipe. I found it over at CookingClassy which is a great food blog if you haven’t been over there. What inspired me to make this coleslaw instead of my usual one was the addition of the cranberries, slivered almonds and apples.
The dressing for this coleslaw is nothing short of stellar. Use Greek yogurt if you can, it adds a tang that is wonderful.
I was lazy and bought the prepackaged coleslaw, but if you want you can certainly shred the cabbage and cut up all those little carrots yourself. I however, am in summer mode and that wasn’t going to happen.Print
A twist on the American staple – coleslaw meets crunchy apples, dried cranberries and slivered almonds while bathed in a dressing consisting of Greek yogurt, mayo, honey and vinegar.
- 1 Package Coleslaw (prepackaged) or apprx 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 Red Apple, cut into small chunks or slices
- ¾ Cup Slivered Almonds
- ¾ Cup Dried Cranberries
FOR THE DRESSING:
- ¾ Cup Yogurt (I used Stonyfield Whole Milk)
- ¼ Cup Mayonnaise (I used Spectrum)
- ¼ Cup Honey
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Onion, diced very finely
- 1 Tablespoon Poppy Seeds (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a bowl, combine the ingredients for the dressing and whisk until combined and smooth
- In a large bowl, combine the packaged coleslaw (or cabbage), onion, apples, cranberries and slivered almonds
- Pour the dressing over the coleslaw and toss to evenly coat
- Cover and refrigerate for several hours until ice cold
Serves:8 Calories: 147 Sugar: 14 gr Sodium: 69 mg Fat: 7.2 gr Fiber 2 gr Protein: 3.4 gr
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 0 min
Recipe Adapted from: CookingClassy
I used all organic ingredients (where possible) when making this recipe, and hope you do too! 🙂