This is one of the most popular macaroni salad recipes in the US. This recipe comes straight from a New York deli and is very creamy with no added modern extras. This macaroni salad is the perfect side dish to a sandwich for lunch or grilled chicken for dinner.
New York Deli Style Macaroni
Growing up on Long Island (or anywhere near NYC for that matter) you will find a deli about every 7 feet. They are on literally every corner. The best part is when you walk in and you see that enormous glass counter where all the freshly made delicious salads are just waiting for you.
There was no need to add preservatives to the salads because they were usually gone the same day, and I’m pretty sure that rings true today. They made what they made and when they ran out, they ran out.
Ingredients in Macaroni Salad:
- Macaroni – true New York style will only use elbow macaroni
- Veggies – finely diced celery, red bell pepper – that’s it. NO ONION!
- The Sauce – mayo, sour cream, whole milk, ACV for some tartness, a little sugar for balance, a teeny bit of mustard, salt and pepper
How to Make Macaroni Salad like a New Yorker
- Cook the macaroni in heavily salted water until al dente, drain in a colander
- As the pasta cooks, combine macaroni and dressing together
TIP!: Place the macaroni in an ice bath after cooking. This not only stops the cooking process but allows the macaroni itself to cool down. Place the macaroni in the fridge while making the dressing. The cooler the macaroni is the less it will absorb the dressing and creamier it will stay.
How long can you keep macaroni salad at room temperature?
It is recommended to keep side dishes like macaroni salad and potato salads at room temperature for no longer than 2 hours.
In the event the salads are outside at a potluck or picnic, keep them out of direct sun and place the bowl inside of a second bowl full of ice and water if possible.
Make Ahead and Storage:
- Make ahead: – This macaroni salad can be made days in advance. It may need a little more mayo and vinegar to loosen it back up.
- Refrigerate – seal in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. It does not freeze well.
Looking for more summer salad recipes?
- Healthy Broccoli Salad – you won’t even know it’s healthy!
- Classic Potato Salad – goes right alongside the macaroni salad
- Four Bean Summer Salad – all the protein you can ask for
New York deli style macaroni salad. No eggs, no cheese, no carrots. Just like you would find at your corner deli.
- 1 lb Elbow Macaroni
- 2 Stalks Organic Celery, diced fine
- 1 Organic Red Pepper, diced fine
- 1 ½ Cups Mayonnaise
- ½ Cup Organic Sour Cream
- ½ Cup Organic Whole Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Yellow Mustard
- 2 tsp Sugar
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- In a large stockpot, cook the macaroni according to directions in heavily salted water.
- Meanwhile combine the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Drain the macaroni and rinse under cold water until the macaroni itself is cooled.
- Toss together and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and paprika right before serving.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS: