Well I’ve finally gone and done it. It’s taken me a while (2 years to be exact). But I’ve finally made my own condensed version of Cream of Mushroom Soup. And it wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be.
You guys I always thought some processed foods, like condensed soups, were impossible to replicate, well, just because of all the non pronounceable words in them. How do you replicate Calcium Calsinate?? But then again why would you? So I never really tried. I just bought the MSG, sodium filled canned version.
But then I discovered I CAN make this at home and all it took were 7 wholesome, yummy ingredients!~
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED:
- Chicken Broth
- Sour Cream
This condensed soup comes together quite quickly and is great for those green beans at Thanksgiving time!
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 ½ Cups Mushrooms, diced small
- ½ Cup Onion, diced small
- 3 Tablespoons White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ – ¾ Cup Whole Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Sour Cream
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, add the butter. Once melted and foamy, add the mushrooms and onions and sauté them until the mushrooms release all their liquid, approx. 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper as they are cooking.
- Sprinkle the flour all over the mushroom/onion mixture and stir in to combine, cooking 1 minute more.
- Add the garlic powder.
- Slowly add the chicken stock then the milk stirring the whole time to incorporate. Start with ½ cup of milk and add more as it cooks to desired consistency. Cook for approx. 3-4 minutes to thicken, adding milk as needed.
- Take the soup off the heat and stir in the sour cream.
Recipe Source: HappilyUnprocessed.com
I used all organic ingredients when making this recipe, and hope you do too! 🙂