This healthy Mango Pico de Gallo recipe is a delicious salsa made with mangoes, onion, lime juice, and cilantro. Use it with tacos, over grilled chicken or fish, as a healthy snack, or over any Mexican food on your menu plan.
Mango Pico de Gallo: A Fresh Summer Salsa
This mango salsa gives regular salsa a run for its money. The addition of fresh diced mango adds such a bright, fresh and summery flavor and is a great compliment to spicy and salty ingredients, like the tomatoes and the onion.
Even though this salsa comes together in no time, it does need time to refrigerate so the flavors have time to marinate. So be sure to give yourself enough time before serving it with our Air Fryer Pita Chips – talk about a healthy snack!
Some KEY Tips:
The best part about this recipe is that it uses all fresh ingredients, however one of the the KEYS to this recipe is using the best most flavorful tomatoes you can find, which is why salsas are usually most frequently served in the summer when tomatoes are at their peak.
When it comes to selecting the perfectly ripe mango, don’t focus on the color. Instead, go by feeling (slightly soft with a little give) and a fruity aroma at the stem.
Lastly, and MOST importantly, we want to draw out the excess moisture in the watery vegetables (such as tomatoes or cucumbers) before we add them to the salsa. Why? Because it will significantly enhance the flavor of the veggies AND prevent a watered down, flavorless Pico de Gallo.
Do this by placing the cut up veggies in a strainer in the sink – sprinkle a little (not a lot) of salt over them and allow them to sit as you prepare the other ingredients.
Some KEY Ingredients:
- Roma tomatoes are the go-to type of tomato for this recipe thanks to their firm nature. They are also slender and easy to dice.
- Red onion is not my favorite, as everyone knows, but it adds a slight kick that merges well with the tomatoes and fruit.
- Fresh lime juice is a MUST as it brings a much needed burst of lightness to the sriracha, fresh cilantro, salt, and pepper.
Let’s Make our Mango Salsa:
- Finely dice all your ingredients in the same size cubes and add them to a bowl.
- Then, top with the remaining ingredients and toss until well combined. Give it a taste to see if you’d like to add some sweetness. If so, add a few drizzles of honey or a few pinches of sugar.
- Keep in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.
If you’d like to add some extra colors and flavors to your pico de gallo, try these:
- diced jalapeños
- yellow bell pepper
- red bell pepper
- green bell pepper
How do I store the Pico de Gallo?
You can keep the Pico de Gallo for 2 days in an airtight container in the fridge. Do not freeze.
How to use the Pico de Gallo?
This salsa can be used as a delicious appetizer dip to be served with some nachos or plain tortilla chips. It’s also great with grilled meats or fish, and has many uses like in tacos, tortillas, and burritos.
Is Pico de Gallo different from salsa?
Yes, the difference is in the texture; salsa has more liquid.
Is Pico de Gallo healthy?
Absolutely. This recipe is both gluten-free and vegan.
LOOKING FOR SIMILAR RECIPES?
- Cowboy Caviar – a salsa type salad with beans, corn, red onion and a zesty dressing
- Restaurant Salsa – nothing beats the freshness of homemade salsa
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad – Greece in a bowl
- 1 Ripe Fresh Mango, peeled and finely diced
- 3 Roma tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 Small Red onion, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
- ¼ Cup Fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Additional ingredients: chopped avocado, diced Jalapeno peppers, yellow or red bell pepper
- Peel and cut the flesh of a mango from its pit. Dice into ¼ inch cubes.
- Dice the tomatoes and onion into similar small size chunks. Finely chop the cilantro.
- Cut the lime in half and squeeze the juice into a medium size bowl. Add the Sriracha, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust if needed. Try adding some sugar or honey for more sweetness.
- Add all the diced fruit and veggies. Stir to combine.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Appetizer