Skip the store bought pita chips that are almost always deep fried and then smothered in salt, making them a very unhealthy choice, and start making your own in THE AIR FRYER!
Pita chips rank high on the list of yummy go-to snacks, especially in my house. However, if you’d like to swap the store-bought bags for a shot at making your own, then you’ll love this 4-ingredient air fryer recipe.
Once you see how easy it is to make, these will become your new favorite snack, side item, or appetizer.
But first… Let’s talk about air fryers!
There’s no question that air fryers are a thing of the present, and if you don’t have one – get one ASAP! These small ovens are concentrated heat sources powered by fans that move the hot air around the cooking space. This heat can fry chicken, make crispy fries, and create perfectly “fried” pita chips.
It uses way less oil than any stove-top recipe and cooks things to a crisp better than any oven range. Not to mention, air fryers are a better (and healthier) option for re-heating precooked foods.
Depending on your cooking preferences, you can find air fryers in a variety of sizes (by the quart), shape, and type.
Are pita chips good for you?
You’ll hear a variety of nutritional information surrounding pita chips, but the short answer is “yes.” While it’s true that they’re not ideal for those on a keto diet, pita chips still supply a good dose of micronutrients.
Other pros for pita chips is they are a better option over potato chips because they have lower calorie percentage. They’re also really versatile, can be paired with other nutritious foods (think hummus and tzatziki dip), and can be made at home.
There are several different brands of pita pockets you can get, but the kind made from whole grains is said to be the healthiest. You can also experiment with other flavors for your pita chips, such as garlic, herbs, and spices. That’s what makes this snack so versatile!
How to Make Homemade Pita Chips in the Air Fryer
- Gather the four ingredients needed: pita bread pockets, olive oil, sea salt, and pepper.
- Grab a knife, or kitchen scissors, for cutting the pita bread pockets into triangles and a brush for easily spreading the olive oil.
- Once you’ve cut the pita bread into triangles and brushed them with olive oil, you’re ready to put them in the air fryer basket to cook. I’m not kidding when I say that you’ll have golden brown, irresistible pita chips in less than 10 minutes.
These pita chips are perfect by themselves, as a side item, or as an appetizer for your next get-together. They come out so crispy! It is definitely one recipe you don’t want to keep to yourself!
Share away and leave us a comment letting us know you tried it!Print
- 5 Pita bread pockets
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the air fryer to 350° F.
- Cut each pita bread pocket into 6 triangles.
- Brush them on both sides with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place into the air fryer basket and cook for 5 minutes. Take out the basket and toss to redistribute all pita chips. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Serve with with tzatziki, hummus or any other dip you like. You can even eat them as is.
- Feel free to play up with the spices. Use curry for an Indian inspired version or cinnamon and a light brown sugar sprinkle for a dessert option.