This roasted sweet potato and black bean recipe is absolutely
T-H-E- B-O-M-B !!!!
There is a perfect marriage between sweet potatoes and black beans, spices and liquid. It has a deep flavor yet it is perfectly balanced.
I was looking to make a vegetarian chili recipe but didn’t want to spend hours making it or turning on the oven, so I came up with this ONE POT Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili recipe in under 30 minutes!
HOW DO WE MAKE THIS 30 MINUTE CHILI?
- In a large stockpot, we begin by sweating the veggies in some oil – then we add the sweet potatos and garlic and cook them until soft.
- Next we add the spices. You want to add the spices BEFORE the liquid because this enables the heat and the oil in the pan to bring out the spices flavors.
- Add the vegetable broth, fire roasted tomatoes, beans and let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Top it with your favorite toppings like diced avocado, sour cream, or cilantro
And can I tell you …. it is utterly UH-mazing !!!
If you like more heat, may I suggest you use SMOKED paprika in lieu of the regular paprika or ANCHO chili powder. You can certainly add a jalapeno pepper in addition to the other bell peppers.
This is NOT a hot or spicy chili, it is mild … so adjust it according to your preference. Taste test as you go along but I think you will really enjoy this recipe. It’s meatless but so filling thanks to the beans.
My family likes to customize their chili with their toppings. Some of our favorites are sour cream and shredded cheese. Most like a little crunch from tortilla chips too!
What are your favorite toppings Top it with your favorite toppings and plop yourself down in front of the tv to watch some football.Print
This vegetarian sweet potato and black bean chili is a nutritious, comforting and filling meal that is made in ONE pot and ready in under 30 minutes!
- 2 Cups Sweet Potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes (under 1/2″)
- 1 Cup Onion, diced
- 1/2 Cup Red Pepper, diced finely
- 1/2 Cup Carrot, diced finely
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 2 teaspoons Ground Cumin
- 2 Tbsp Garlic, minced
- 2 1/4 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 (14 oz) Can Diced Tomates with Green Chiles
- 14 oz. Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 (14 oz) Can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 oz Can Pinto Beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- Cilantro, lime wedges, diced avocado, sour cream, cheddar cheese, organic corn chips. guacamole
- Heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat until warm. Add the onion and let sweat for about 2 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes, red peppers and carrots. Season with salt and pepper, chili powder and cumin. Cook for another 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and sauté 1 minute longer.
- Add the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, beans and crushed tomatoes. (Optional: sprinkle with a teaspoon or 2 of sugar to offset the acidity of the tomatoes).
- Lastly, add the tomato paste, and give it all a good stir.
- Bring to a light boil then reduce heat to low, cover and allow to simmer 20 minutes or until all the vegetables are tender and the chili has thickened slightly.
- Serve with sour cream, cilantro, avocado, chips if desired
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS:
GLUTEN FREE CORNBREAD