Why dine out when you can recreate a restaurant-style side dish right in your kitchen? Whip up these Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes with Chives to accompany any main course, from juicy steaks to succulent roasted chicken.
When it comes to comfort food, few dishes are as universally loved and satisfying as mashed potatoes. Creamy, buttery, and full of flavor, they have a special place in our hearts and on our plates. While classic mashed potatoes are undeniably delicious, it’s always fun to give them a little twist and elevate them to something even more extraordinary. That’s where garlic mashed potatoes with chives come in.
How to Make the Creamiest Potatoes
At the heart of these garlic mashed potatoes is a creamy dreamy base. Start with your favorite potatoes; Yukon Golds or Russets work exceptionally well.
- Peel and cut them into evenly sized chunks, then boil them until they’re fork-tender. Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot.
- While the potatoes are cooking, in a small saucepan, combine the minced garlic, heavy cream, and milk. Allow the flavors to infuse for about 5 minutes, then turn off the heat and set it aside.
- To balance out the robust flavor of the garlic infusion, we turn to chives. Chives are delicate green herbs with a mild onion flavor. They add a vibrant touch to the dish, both in terms of taste and appearance.
- Add a generous splash of warm garlic-infused cream and milk mixture, along with lots of softened butter, to your potatoes. Use a potato masher or hand mixer to blend everything together until you reach your desired level of creaminess. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Garlic mashed potatoes with chives are a versatile side dish that pairs beautifully with a variety of main courses. Here are a few serving suggestions to get you started:
- Roast Chicken: Serve these mashed potatoes alongside succulent roast chicken for a classic comfort meal.
- Grilled Steak: Elevate your steak dinner with a side of garlic mashed potatoes and a sprinkle of chives.
- Vegetarian Delight: These potatoes can shine as a main dish, too. Top them with sautéed mushrooms, caramelized onions, and a dollop of sour cream for a vegetarian delight.
- Thanksgiving Feast: Of course, no Thanksgiving feast would be complete without creamy garlic mashed potatoes with chives.
GARLIC MASHED POTATOES WITH CHIVES RECIPE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your SIDES board!
Indulge in a comforting classic with a flavorful twist. Our Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes with Chives marry the creamy classic mashed potatoe with the delicate flavor of garlic and the bright freshness of chives.
- 2 lbs. Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks (4 potatoes)
- 4 Cloves garlic, minced
- ½ Cup Heavy cream
- ¼ Cup Whole milk
- ½ Cup Unsalted butter, softened
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Fresh chives chopped, for garnish
- Start by placing the peeled and chopped potatoes into a large pot. Cover them with cold water and a generous amount of salt to the water. Bring the water to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium. Cook the potatoes until they become fork-tender, which should take about 15-20 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, in a small saucepan, combine the minced garlic, heavy cream, and whole milk. Warm this mixture over low heat, making sure not to let it boil. Allow the flavors to infuse for approximately 5 minutes, then turn off the heat and set it aside.
- Once the potatoes are done cooking, drain them thoroughly and return them to the pot. Over low heat, gently shake the pot for about 1 minute to help remove any excess moisture from the potatoes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and begin mashing the potatoes using a potato masher or a fork until they are broken down and somewhat smooth.
- Gradually incorporate the softened butter into the mashed potatoes, continuing to mash until the butter is fully blended.
- Next, pour the warmed garlic-infused cream and milk mixture into the mashed potatoes. Stir well until the potatoes become smooth and creamy.
- Season the mashed potatoes with salt and freshly ground black pepper to your taste. If you desire an extra layer of flavor, you can add grated Parmesan cheese at this point and mix it in.
- Finally, transfer the mashed potatoes to a serving bowl and garnish with chopped fresh chives or parsley.
Nutritional Disclaimer: The provided nutritional information is an estimate and can vary based on ingredient brands and quantities. For precise details, consult a registered dietitian or use a nutrition calculator.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
- Category: side dish
- Serving Size: 1 servings
- Calories: 330-360
- Sugar: 2-3 gr
- Sodium: varies
- Fat: 22-25 gr
- Saturated Fat: 13-15 gr
- Carbohydrates: 30-35 gr
- Fiber: 3-4 gr
- Protein: 2-3 gr