It is grilling season friends! It’s about time, isn’t it?
How many burgers have you eaten so far? A few I bet. But how many of them were chicken burgers? Mmm hmmm … thought so.
Well let’s be honest here, a ground chicken burger may not get your taste buds salivating, however, I am hopefully going to change that today.
And I have made it my mission to come up with at least a different burger every week throughout the summer, so stay tuned!
Ok, so onto this burger …
Ground chicken is a great alternative to traditional beef burgers, however, ground chicken is basically the same as boneless chicken breasts which means you can have the same problem … flavorless dried out hockey pucks.
Well we have the answer to that! These burgers get a lot of flavor from the seasonings but that wasn’t enough.
What takes these burgers from good to great is the addition of the Gruyere cheese, spinach AND avocado. The cheese is just enough to give it a little saltiness but you can always top the burger with another piece if you want.
As you are forming them into patties, they will seem very moist and almost gloppy, and that’s ok. That’s what we want. But rest assured, 30 minutes in the fridge while you are getting the grill heated up and your side dishes prepared, they will be good to go.
This next statement might seem a little over zealous, but these are some of the most delicious burgers I’ve had. They are surprisingly good!
And don’t forget to top them with the secret honey mustard sauce. It’s truly amazing!
Tips and tricks to make the best ground chicken burgers:
- Don’t over handle the meat. I used a rubber spatula to gently fold the meat and eventually used my hands to form the patties.
- Form 4 large meatballs and place them on wax paper. Use a small frying pan, or cutting board (anything flat) and gently press down until the burgers are about 1″ thick.
- Make a little depression with your thumb in the center of each burger so they cook evenly.
- The best way to cook these burgers is on a griddle or saute pan. Yes you can grill them, however, they will need a little oil brushed on them so they don’t stick to the grill.
- Try not to move these burgers as they cook. We cooked them on high heat for 5 minutes on one side and 4 minutes on the other side. By not moving them you should get a nice grill mark and avoid them sticking.
- The internal temperature should read at least 165° F.
These ground chicken burgers are anything but dry! They get their flavor from the seasonings, Gruyere cheese, spinach and avocado. But the clincher is the secret honey mustard sauce on top!
- 1 lb. Organic Ground Chicken
- ½ Cup Organic Spinach, chopped finely
- 2 Tablespoons Organic Fresh Cilantro, finely chopped
- ¼ Cup Breadcrumbs
- ¼ Cup Gruyere Cheese (or Havarti), shredded
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- ½ teaspoon Ground Pepper
- Juice from ½ Organic Lime
- ½ Organic Avocado, diced small
SECRET HONEY MUSTARD SAUCE:
- ¼ Cup Dijon Mustard
- ¼ Cup Honey
- ¼ Cup Mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon Paprika
- Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
- Mix all the ingredients together with a spatula or wooden spoon except the avocado.
- Gently fold in the avocado until combined.
- Roll the chicken into 4 large meatballs and place between wax paper. Use a large skillet or anything flat and gently flatten them into patties about 1″ thick.
- These patties will be moist and are best if they are refrigerated before cooking. They are best cooked on a grill pan (you know the one that makes the grill marks) on the stove as a grill can dry them out but that never stopped me.
- Serve on a toasted bun with lettuce, tomato, onion and a big dollop of honey mustard dressing.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS:
LEMON GARLIC KALE SALAD with PISTACHIOS & PINE NUTS
PERFECTLY ROASTED STEAK FRIES
LOOKING FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES?
Subscribe to our newsletter to get family friendly healthy recipes delivered to your inbox. You can also find us sharing more recipes on Pinterest.