It’s Spring. It’s Easter and it’s also Asparagus season!
This is a very simple side dish to make. The flavors are simple and light. You’ve got your asparagus, some grape or cherry tomatoes (halved) and slivered pine nuts.
You throw it in a preheated oven and let it roast for 8-10 minutes while you could be doing other things … like enjoying a glass of wine! 😉
This asparagus side dish goes great with Grilled Chicken or some burgers or Salmon. The thing about asparagus is it’s so light as a side dish. It hardly takes up any room in your belly. I think I could eat the whole bunch myself.
It can be served warm, room temperature or even cold. Trust me, I’ve eaten it all three ways, with my favorite being room temp which makes it one of those side dishes you can make ahead of time and not worry about it.
Did you know that all fruits and veggies have what’s called a “respiration rate”? That’s when oxygen breaks down the starches and sugars in the food. And then the food spoils or goes bad. The respiration rate of asparagus is THREE times higher than lettuce and tomatoes and FIVE times higher than onions and potatoes.
You can slow this a little bit by wrapping the ends of the asparagus in a damp paper towel and refrigerating it. You may also want to consume the asparagus with 48 hours of purchasing it.Print
An AMAZING Gluten Free recipe that can be made as an appetizer or as a Vegetarian meal. Done in 10 minutes! Can be eaten hot, warm or room temperature
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon kosher sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°
- Break off the thick part of the asparagus by holding both ends lightly with 2 fingers and snap the asparagus in half. It will break at the weakest part.
- Place the asparagus, tomatoes and nuts on a baking sheet lined with Parch paper or a Silpat
- Combine the 2 tablespoons oil, the garlic, and salt and pepper and drizzle it over the asparagus and toss to coat
- Sprinkle the cheese on top
- Bake 8-10 minutes or just until asparagus is tender
All nutrition information is approximate:
Calories 149; Fat 12 gr; Cholesterol 6.6 mg; Sodium 488 mg; Carbs 6.5 gr; Fiber 2.1 gr; Sugar .8 gr; Protein 5.7 gr
© HappilyUnprocessed. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words AND link back to this post
Recipe Source: HappilyUnprocessed.com
I used all organic ingredients when making this recipe, and hope you do too! 🙂