These guacamole quesadillas are all over TikTok right now. They are vegetarian, plant based, and could be gluten free with gluten free tortillas. Three reasons why you should add these to one of your upcoming dinner plans.
What is TikTok and do I need it to make these guacamole quesadillas?
TikTok is a video-sharing social networking service used to make a variety of short-form videos, from genres like dance, comedy, and – you guess it – food. The videos have a duration from fifteen seconds to one minute, allowing people to share bits and pieces of information, tutorials, and food recipe how-to’s. One quick search and you’ll quickly see that you can find just about anything on this platform… including recipes for any diet and taste bud.
If you don’t have TikTok, don’t worry. I’m giving you the low down on this amazing recipe down below.
The Health Benefits of Guacamole Quesadillas
The avocados alone provide a nice nutritional kick to this recipe. Interesting fact: avocados are a heart-healthy fruit and are the only fruit with good fats! How awesome is that? Diets often call for swapping out that bad fats for the good, and avocados can certainly help you do just that.
High Protein & Fiber
Thanks to the black beans (technically classified as legumes), this recipe has an added protein and fiber boost. Here are a few benefits of eating black beans.
Additional Health Benefits
- The juice of lime is added to the guacamole and the sour cream mixture, meaning you’re improving immunity, possibly reducing heart disease risk factors, and promoting healthy skin.
- Red onions are known for their sulfur compounds that have the potential to protect the body from ulcers and various cancers. They can also fight bacteria in the urinary tract.
- Garlic has had a long culinary (and medical) use, most recently for its cardiovascular and antimicrobial properties. Some people eat a clove a day for these very reasons!
- Cilantro is known to rid the body of heavy metals, protect against stress, and reduce anxiety.
How to get that perfect TikTok Fold:
Step 1: Cut the tortillas.
This is where the genius magic happens. Typically you would place ingredients on half of a tortilla, fold it once and cook. However, this recipe takes the fold to a whole new level. Start by laying the tortilla flat. Cut one slit toward the center of the tortilla. This cut allows you to flip one side over the other. The result will be a layered triangle.
Step 2: Add the fillings.
Now that you have four quarters (because of the slit made in the previous step), add some shredded cheese on two of them (on opposite sides). Add some tomato over one side and some onion to the other side. Add some guacamole in the triangles that remain empty and place some black beans on top.
Step 3: Fold.
Starting with the slit side, flip one triangle over the next one clockwise. Do this until all side have been folded onto and you have a perfect little triangle.
Step 4: Cook.
All there is to do now is add some butter to a skillet and once melted, cook each quesadilla from both sides. Easy peasy!
Now it’s time to enjoy your yummy guacamole quesadillas!
TikTok Guacamole Quesadillas are all about the fold!
For the Guacamole:
- 3 Ripe Avocados – peeled, pitted, and mashed
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ Cup Finely diced Red onion
- 3 Tablespoons chopped Cilantro
- 2 Roma Tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon Garlic, minced
For the Quesadillas:
- 4 large-sized Flour Tortillas
- ½ Red onion, finely diced
- ½ Cup Seasoned Black beans
- 1 ½ Cups Shredded Cheese (Mozzarella, 3 Cheese or Mexican)
- 2 Tomatoes, diced
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter
Sour Cream Mixture:
- ¼ Cup Sour cream
- 1 Tbsp Lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Fresh parsley or cilantro
For the Guacamole:
- Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Top with plastic wrap (touching the guacamole so it doesn’t brown) and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make this Tik Tok trick, you’ll need to cut the tortilla from its center to one edge. This cut allows you to flip one side over the other. The result will be a layered triangle.
- Once cut, it will have four quarters. In two of these quarters (on opposite sides) add some shredded cheese. Add some tomato over one side and some onion to the other side. (see photos in post)
- Spoon some guacamole in the triangles that remain empty and place some black beans on top.
- Flip one triangle over the next one clockwise.
- Finally, add some butter to a skillet and once melted, cook each quesadilla from both sides.
For the sour cream:
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and serve alongside or on top of Quesadillas.