Get ready because after trying these Air Fryer Pumpkin French Toast Sticks, they’re going to become a regular treat. These aren’t your typical French toast sticks, and just wait until you experience the addictive outer crunch.
We have a great unexpected twist for you today. In the world of breakfast classics, who doesn’t love the traditional French toast? Thick slices of egg soaked bread are griddled to golden perfection, maintaining a soft inside.
However, these French toast sticks reach new heights with a sweetened outer breadcrumb coating that turns irresistibly crispy after air frying.
HOW TO MAKE CRUNCHY PUMPKIN FRENCH TOAST STICKS
1. Prepare the Egg Mixture: Whisk together the eggs, pumpkin puree, milk, brown sugar, vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
2. Prepare the Coating: Combine the breadcrumbs and cinnamon sugar.
3. Cut the Bread: Trim the crusts off the bread slices (Texas toast) and cut them into sticks, about 1 inch wide.
4. Dip and Coat: Dip each bread stick into the egg mixture. Then, coat it thoroughly with the breadcrumb mixture, pressing gently to adhere the coating.
5. Air Fry: Place the sticks in a single layer in the air fryer basket, leaving some space between them. Cook for about 5-7 minutes.
The breadcrumbs serve a few important purposes:
- Crunchy Texture: Breadcrumbs add a crispy and crunchy texture to the outside of the French toast sticks. When air-fried, they become golden brown and provide a satisfying contrast to the soft interior of the sticks.
- Coating Adherence: Breadcrumbs help the pumpkin French toast mixture adhere to the bread sticks.
- Flavor and Seasoning: Depending on the type of breadcrumbs you use (Panko, seasoned breadcrumbs), they contribute to the overall flavor of the dish. In this recipe, the combination of sugar and cinnamon in the breadcrumb mixture adds a touch of sweetness and extra flavor.
- Even Cooking: Breadcrumbs help distribute the heat evenly during the air frying process. They prevent the sticks from sticking to the air fryer basket and promote even browning and crispiness on all sides.
How to Serve:
And here’s the fun part – these French toast sticks are like the perfect companions for maple syrup or a dusting of powdered sugar. It’s like they’re saying, ‘Hey, let’s make this even more awesome!’ So, go ahead and drizzle that syrup or sprinkle some sugar for that extra touch of deliciousness.
You won’t believe how simple these are to whip up – even the kids can get in on the fun, and cleanup is a breeze. It’s a win-win!
How to store
- Store leftovers in an airtight container or resealable bag in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
- To freeze, arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet, cover with film, and freeze until hard. When frozen, transfer into a resealable bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Reheat in a toaster for 1 to 2 minutes or in the microwave for 10 to 15 seconds. For large servings, reheat in 350 F oven for 2 to 3 minutes.
OTHER FALL BREAKFASTS YOU MAY LOVE:
- Pumpkin French Toast with Whipped Maple Cinnamon Butter: I promise you, the butter is AMAZING!
- Pumpkin Roll: Our pumpkin roll has less cream cheese and less sweetening of a filling but remains every bit as indulgent and satisfying.
- How to Poach the Perfect Egg: This silky, perfectly cooked egg is simple to make and so elegant at the same time.
- Homemade Blueberry Pancakes: Blueberries bursting with flavor in a fluffy pancake stack – that’s what homemade breakfast dreams are made of.
- Homemade Coffee Cake: Sip your morning brew alongside a slice of Homemade Coffee Cake (just like Entennmanns!)
AIR FRYER PUMPKIN FRENCH TOAST STICKS
Like this recipe? Pin it to your BREAKFAST board!
These Pumpkin French Toast Sticks surpass ANY other you’ve had with a delicious unexpected sweet and crunchy breadcrumb outer coating that makes these sticks unbeatable!
For the Pumpkin French Toast Mixture:
- 4 Large Eggs
- ½ Cup Pumpkin puree
- ½ Cup Milk
- 2 Tbsp. Brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
For the Coating:
- 6 Slices of bread (stale bread works well)
- ½ Cup Breadcrumbs (preferably Panko for extra crispiness)
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- Cooking spray or olive oil in a spray bottle
For Serving (Optional):
- Maple syrup
- Fresh Fruit
- Prepare the Pumpkin French Toast Mixture – In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, pumpkin puree, milk, brown sugar, vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice, and salt until well combined. Set aside.
- Prepare the Coating – In a shallow dish, combine the breadcrumbs, granulated sugar, and cinnamon. Mix well to create the coating mixture.
- Cut the Bread – Trim the crusts off the bread slices and cut them into sticks, about 1 inch wide.
- Dip and Coat – Dip each bread stick into the pumpkin French toast mixture, allowing it to soak for a few seconds. Then, coat it thoroughly with the breadcrumb mixture, pressing gently to adhere the coating.
- Preheat the Air Fryer – Preheat your air fryer to 350°F (175°C) for about 5 minutes.
- Air Fry the Pumpkin French Toast Sticks – Place the coated pumpkin French toast sticks in a single layer in the air fryer basket, leaving some space between them. Cook for about 5-7 minutes, flipping the sticks halfway through the cooking time, or until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Serve Warm – Remove the pumpkin French toast sticks from the air fryer and let them cool slightly. Serve your delicious Air Fryer Pumpkin French Toast Sticks with maple syrup, cream cheese glaze, or your favorite dipping sauce.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5-7 min
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: air fryer
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 512
- Sugar: variable
- Sodium: variable
- Fat: 13.8 gr
- Saturated Fat: 4.5 gr
- Carbohydrates: 74.4 gr
- Fiber: 4.4 gr
- Protein: 21 gr.
- Cholesterol: 370 mg