If you’re looking for a sweet treat that’s both healthy and energizing, crunchy almond energy balls are a must-try. This recipe has 4 basic ingredients making it gluten-free, plant-based, and enjoyable any time of the day!
What are the benefits of energy balls?
Beyond being the perfect snack, energy balls are typically made with both wholefoods and superfoods. They are known to help with a variety of health points, such as building muscle, maintaining a healthy weight, and boosting energy.
The highlight of this crunchy almond energy balls recipe is the combination of dates and raw almonds. These two ingredients pack a punch all on their own. For starters, dates are high in fiber, high in disease-fighting antioxidants, and are an excellent natural sweetener. Raw almonds join the scene with healthy fiber, protein, fats, vitamin E, and magnesium – all very important nutrients for a gluten-free diet.
These two ingredients alone put the energy in energy balls. Thanks to the amounts of protein, magnesium, and vitamin E per ball, it’s these nutrients that help the body sustain energy throughout the day.
When is the best time to eat energy balls?
Although these balls of energy goodness can be enjoyed just about any time of day, there are some key moments to consider. If you’re the gym type, having a few before your workout can help maximize your energy levels. Save a few for after your workout as well, especially to help with mending your muscles.
Snacking between meals isn’t always a good thing unless you have a healthy snack like this in tow. Instead of going for the bag of chips or candy bars, keep a small bag of these energy balls handy. And lastly, when the day seems to be dragging along, these can come to the rescue as a healthy (and nourishing) pick me up.
How To Make The Energy Balls
The thing about this recipe is it’s just as fun to make as it is to eat. For starters, you’ll want to break up some almonds and set them aside to use for the grand finale.
Then, it’s time to make the pasty mixture that will hold everything together. To form the paste:
- Place the dates in the food processor and give it a go until it creates a smooth texture.
- Once you’ve reached the point of softness to make a ball, add in almond milk, almond flour, and shredded coconut.
- Stir those ingredients together until they have combined enough to make the sticky paste.
In this form, you’re ready to create the energy ball. Ball being the keyword here, roll the dates into about 10 balls or so (depending on how big or small you want them to be). Once rolled, take them through the broken almond pieces and you’re done! Start snacking immediately or store them in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- 1 Cup Dates
- 1 Cup Almond Flour
- ¼ Cup Raw Almonds, chopped
- ¼ Cup Shredded Coconut
- 1–2 Tbsp. Almond Milk
- ¼ tsp salt (optional)
- Add the almonds to a food processor and pulse until they are broken into small pieces. Set aside into a shallow dish.
- Place the dates in the food processor and blend until they are smooth and form a ball. Add 1-2 Tablespoons of almond milk.
- Place the paste in a bowl and add the almond flour and shredded coconut. Stir well to combine. The result should be a sticky paste.
- Roll the dates into 10 balls and then roll them into the chopped almonds.
- Enjoy immediately or store leftovers in the fridge for up to one week.
If using dry dates, presoak in warm water for 30 minutes before using.
*adding ¼ tsp salt will raise the sodium to 59 mg. per ball
adding sweetened coconut (in addition to the salt) will raise the sodium to 66 mg. per ball
- Serving Size: 1 Ball
- Calories: 145
- Sugar: 9
- Sodium: 0
- Fat: 9
- Carbohydrates: 5
- Protein: 3
Keywords: energy ball, plant based, whole foods