Blackened chicken is nothing more than a spicy dry rub that infuses tons of flavor into bland chicken. The chicken is then cooked over very high heat resulting in a blackened outer crust and a moist tender inside.
Blackened chicken is NOT the result of burning your chicken … or cooking it too long…. or from it sticking to the pan.
The ‘blackened’ part of the chicken is the result of a medley of spices, usually Cajun, that when put to high heat, gives the chicken an nice blackened crust on the outside.
This chicken is gluten free, low carb, keto friendly and a great healthy choice to keep in the fridge all week long to put on top of salads or add to pasta or just grab and go.
WHAT SPICES ARE USED FOR BLACKENED CHICKEN?
- paprika (you can even use smoked paprika for a real smoky flavor)
- white & cayenne peppers
- onion powder
These spices create a nice heat with each bite. It can get as spicy as you like. I would suggest you start with the original dry rub listed below and tweak to your personal liking in the future.
It goes great over a salad as the creaminess from the salad dressing or avocados offsets the chicken really well. Or another great option is over pasta. My personal favorite is over Fettucine Alfredo.
You can cook this chicken one of 2 ways: you can cook the chicken completely on the stove. However, I would recommend you flatten the chicken just a bit for even cooking and to thin it out. Or you can sear it on both sides and then finish cooking it in the oven (recommended).
A spicy dry rub is rubbed all over lean chicken breasts and pan seared in a very hot pan for a blackened outer crust and a moist tender inside.
- 2 Skinless, Boneless Chicken Breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika (or smoked paprika)
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon White Pepper (black would be fine as a substitution)
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon Onion Powder
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Mix the spices in a small dish.
- Trim any excess fat off the chicken breast and pat dry. Rub the spices all over the chicken and drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Heat up a cast iron skillet over high heat until it is SMOKING.
- Place the chicken in the skillet and let it cook for 2 minutes or until a nice black crust has formed.
- Flip and repeat.
- You can continue to cook the chicken in the pan until done or place the chicken carefully in the oven and cook until the juices run clear or a meat thermometer reaches 165°F.
PIN IT FOR LATER!