This simple and homemade coleslaw dressing recipe is easy to make using basic pantry staples. It is creamy. It is smooth. It is best when it’s ice cold. And it is NOT just for summer!
I’m a firm, die hard recipe jumper. What does that mean? It means that even though I “think” I have a great recipe for blah blah, I’m still on the hunt for something new. In other words, I get bored easily and it drives my family insane because I don’t make the same things over and over.
If you are an old friend and followed us for a while, you would see that we do have another coleslaw recipe on our site, and we even have one that uses apples and cranberries. So, why another coleslaw recipe?
Well, this recipe uses dried spices, where the other one requires a cutting board and knife for the onions. This one is also much less sweet and uses 2 types of acid for more of a complex, balanced flavor.
Enough talk … do you want to see the recipe?
Coleslaw Dressing Ingredients:
- Mayo: Mayonnaise is the base of the dressing with which the other ingredients will be mixed. It also helps with creating a creamy texture.
- Dijon Mustard: Add a kick flavor to the coleslaw dressing.
- Apple Cider Vinegar & Lemon: These ingredients add the acid needed to make the perfect coleslaw mix. They also help balance all the flavors out.
- Salt & Spices: The remainder of the ingredients are salt, fresh cracked pepper, sugar, celery seed, and onion powder.
Do you have to use a mason jar?
No. You can use a big silver metal bowl and mix the dressing first before adding the cabbage. But, most homemade dressings are stored in mason jars and there’s a good reason for that.
- The design of the mason jars, and their lids, helps when it comes to removing as much air as possible. This keeps the dressing fresher longer.
- You can make the dressing ahead of time and just store it in the fridge. If you want my opinion, that’s how I do it. It gives the flavors a change to marry and get icy cold before adding it to the cabbage. And remember to store salad dressings on the INSIDE of the fridge, not the door!
- It much easier to shake-shake-shake the dressing (and fun too).
Easy Coleslaw Dressing Recipe Directions
- First, add the mayo, mustard, seasonings, vinegar, and lemon juice to a mason jar.
- Second, shake vigorously until well combined. If you are using a bowl, simply whisk all the ingredients before adding the cabbage.
- Next, taste the coleslaw mixture and adjust with salt and/or pepper as needed. Then place the lid on and shake again.
- Lastly, chill in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve. If making coleslaw sooner than later, go ahead and pour over shredded green cabbage and refrigerate.
What does coleslaw dressing pair well with?
The most common way to use coleslaw dressing is with shredded green cabbage, red cabbage, and chopped carrots. This dressing can also be used to make broccoli slaw, broccoli salad, and/or cauliflower salad too.
Serving Suggestions for Coleslaw
- Consider serving coleslaw as a side dish alongside burgers, shredded chicken sandwiches, or even a pulled pork sandwich.
- Coleslaw also goes well as a fresh salad topping, sandwich topping, or topping for baked potatoes.
Grab some of our recipe suggestions below to pair with this easy coleslaw recipe!
Can I use Greek yogurt instead of mayo? Yes! Greek yogurt is a great substitute for mayonnaise and can be replaced at a 1:1 ratio.
How do I add a bit of sweetness to the sauce? Two primary ways to add sweetness to your coleslaw are by adding a bit of honey or a pinch of sugar.Print
Simple Coleslaw Dressing
- Total Time: 5 min
- Yield: ¾ cup 1x
- ½ Cup Mayonnaise (Duke’s mayo does not contain any added sugar)
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard (not the grainy kind)
- 1 teaspoon Onion powder
- 2 teaspoons Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Celery seed
- 1 Tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the mayo, mustard, seasonings, vinegar and lemon juice to a medium bowl.
- Whisk (or shake if using a Mason jar) until well combined.
- Taste and adjust with salt and/or pepper, place on lid and shake again.
- Chill until ready to serve or pour over shredded cabbage immediately and refrigerate
WHAT TO PAIR WITH THIS:
- Prep Time: 5 min
Leave a Reply