These 4th of July creamsicles are a fun, delicious and creative way to celebrate the red, white, and blue holiday! With 8 simple ingredients, they are super easy to make. Make this a family affair by putting all hands on deck for this yummy and cool dessert recipe.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Since the 4th of July is known for the colors red, white, and blue – this recipe calls for strawberries and blueberries. These are perfectly in season during the summer so you should be able to pick some up at your local farmer’s market or from the grocery store.
In order to make this a popsicle-style sweet treat, ice cream is a must. And keeping up with the holiday we’re making these for, it’s only perfect that we use vanilla ice cream. This will help give your creamsicles the red, white, and blue look and a yummy taste.
To make the other layers that will be paired with the vanilla ice cream, you’ll need a few ingredients to give your fruit a filling. I call these the mixins’ because they’ll be mixed together to make part of what will be layered in your creamsicles. These ingredients include:
How to Make Yummy 4th of July Creamsicles
- Once you’ve made the strawberry and blueberry purees, set them aside and let them cool down. Once they’ve cooled a bit you’re ready to start creating.
- Start by dividing the blueberry mixture evenly between 10 popsicle molds. Then, place the molds in the freezer until they become firm. This typically takes up to 3 hours depending on your freezer setting.
- Once they have hardened, add a layer of the strawberry mixture. At this point, add the popsicle sticks secured with Reynold’s wrap (or plastic wrap). Return the molds back to the freezer so this layer can get hard.
This process gets repeated 3 more times to make that gorgeous striped creamsicle:
- A layer of the softened ice cream
- another layer of strawberry
- last layer being the softened vanilla ice cream.
Keep them in the freezer until you are ready to serve them. And there ya have it! 4th of July creamsicles!!!
Psst… looking for another 4th of July recipe to cool you off? Try our Homemade Strawberry and Banana Sorbet!Print
4th of July Creamsicles
A fun, delicious and creative way to celebrate the red, white and blue of the 4th of July!
- 1 Pkg Strawberries
- 1 Pkg Blueberries
- 2 Tablespoons Water, divided
- 2 teaspoons Corn Starch, divided
- 2 Tablespoons Butter, divided
- 4 Tablespoons Sugar, divided
- ½ teaspoon Salt, divided
- Softened Vanilla Ice Cream
- POUR 1 tablespoon water into a small bowl.
- ADD 1 teaspoon cornstarch.
- STIR until cornstarch is dissolved. Set aside.
- MELT 1 tablespoon butter in a medium saucepan.
- ADD 1 package strawberries, diced into ¼-inch pieces.
- COOK 2 minutes over medium heat.
- ADD 2 Tablespoons sugar and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- COOK uncovered and STIR occasionally until liquid is reduced and thickened, 12 – 15 minutes.
- STIR cornstarch mixture again and ADD to strawberry mixture.
- BRING mixture to a boil and COOK until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- ALLOW strawberry mixture to cool completely. DIVIDE in half.
- REPEAT this same process with the blueberries only do not divide in half. Set aside.
- DIVIDE the blueberry mixture evenly between 10 popsicle molds. Place in the freezer until firm (about 3 hrs).
- Remove the popsicles and add the 2nd layer. This is half the strawberry mixture.
- ADD the popsicle sticks into the mold at this point. Cover the top of the mold with foil to help secure the sticks. FREEZE until firm.
- ADD a layer of softened vanilla ice cream – FREEZE until firm.
- ADD a layer of strawberry – FREEZE until firm.
- ADD the final layer of softened vanilla ice cream and FREEZE until ready to serve.
Leave a Reply