Pineapple fried rice was never on my radar until our trip to Hawaii in 2016 where we were served Huli Huli chicken for the first time and this flavorful rice was the side dish.
The sweet pineapple flavor that is in the chicken marinade is also in the rice in bite sized chunks. This combination of chicken and rice flavors will make you feel like you are sitting front row at a luau in Hawaii.
Ingredients to Make Pineapple Fried Rice
- Sesame oil/Olive oil/Butter
- Tamari (or organic Soy sauce)
- Onions & Garlic
- Peas & Carrots
- Cooked Brown Rice
TIPS FOR MAKING HAWAIIAN FRIED RICE:
- The secret to any fried rice is using left over rice. When you make fried rice, you are introducing liquid back INTO the rice. If the rice has not been cooked and cooled it will turn mushy. Therefore, make the rice at least 1-2 days beforehand and reserve in the fridge.
- You can use white or brown rice for this dish. I used brown rice and here is a great tip on cooking it so it comes out perfectly every time.
- This rice gets better as it sits. I found the next day to be much better than freshly made.
- The measurements here are subjective, meaning they are basic guideline. Add more or less to your liking.
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Ginger Powder
FOR THE VEGGIES:
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- ½ Cup Onion, diced
- ½ Cup Carrots, diced
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Egg, whisked
- ½ Cup Peas
- 1–2 Cups Fresh Pineapple, diced
- ½ Cup Ham, diced
- 2 Green Onions, sliced
- 3 Cups Cooked Brown Rice
- In a small bowl whisk together the ingredients for the sauce, set aside
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and carrots to the skillet and cook, stirring often, until the onions have become translucent. Season with a little salt and pepper as they are cooking
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds
- Push the veggies to the side of the pan and add the egg to the pan, stirring quickly to scramble. Incorporate the veggies with the egg
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook until heated, stirring often
- Add the sauce and combine all ingredients