If you’ve ever been unsure of making your own risotto on the stove, you simply MUST try this Instant Pot pumpkin risotto! This recipe is incredibly delicious with super creamy results. In other words, it’s a recipe worth adding to your next meal plan.
Do one quick search, and you’ll quickly see that I’m a fan of making risotto. Some people stay clear of making this yummy dish, but I promise there’s nothing intimidating about it.
Things to Keep in Mind When Cooking Risotto
Although there’s nothing to fear when it comes to making risotto, there are a few things I suggest keeping in mind.
Buy the right rice.
Don’t dodge a trip to the grocery store because you have white rice or long-grain on hand. Italian short-grain rice is a must in order to get the perfect risotto, which is why this recipe calls for Arborio. There are a few other types to choose from like Carnaroli, Vialoni, and Baldo (but Arborio is the most popular).
Skip the wash.
If you’re used to washing your rice, skip it this time. The rice will need all of its starchiness to help get that classic creamy texture.
Risotto needs your full attention.
Cooking risotto in the Instant Pot is a little different, but if you tackle another recipe, like roasted butternut squash risotto, you’ll need to stand by. Typically, you would add your broth in small increments to give it time to soak into the rice and produce that creamy texture. And if you’ll watch closely, you can see the rice actually absorbing the liquid.
Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, let’s get cooking!
The Best Instant Pot Pumpkin Risotto
Luckily, this recipe calls for less than 10 ingredients:
- Onion (chopped)
- Garlic clove (minced)
- Arborio rice
- White wine
- Vegetable stock (low sodium)
- Pumpkin puree
- Heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese
Once you have everything laid out, follow these steps.
Set the Instant Pot on the sauté setting and melt the butter. Add the onion and cook until it’s translucent. This is typically reached around 5 minutes or so. Then, add the garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds more. (The flavor aroma will start kicking in now!)
Add the rice and stir. Then, cook until the rice is slightly transparent. This only takes a couple of minutes so hang tight and prepare for the next step.
Pour the white wine in and stir to mix everything together. Cook for about 30 seconds more. I promise we’re close to popping on the top! Next, pour in the stock and add the pumpkin. Close the lid and valve and set your Instant Pot on high pressure for 6 minutes.
Manually release the steam and open the valve and lid. Give the risotto a good stir. Lastly, add the heavy cream and the parmesan cheese and stir to incorporate.
And there you have it! Super easy, incredibly yummy Instant Pot pumpkin risotto.
Now the thing about risotto is it’s good as an entree all by itself or perfect as a side dish. Traditionally, in Italy, risotto is served before the main course. It also pairs perfectly with other things. In this one-pot meal, I paired risotto with lemon pepper chicken.
In the end, risotto is something you can play around with. But for this recipe, you’ll want to try it as is first. The creamy texture and the taste of pumpkin are going to be a hit! Remember to let me know if you try this recipe and if you ate it by itself or paired it with something else.
Don’t forget to try these recipes:
- Mushroom Risotto
- Creamy Parmesan Risotto with Oven Roasted Shrimp
- One Skillet Creamy Spinach and Paremsan Orzo (risotto-like texture)
Instant Pot Pumpkin Risotto
- Total Time: 20-25 min
- Yield: Serves 4
You’ll never go back to making risotto on the stove top again after seeing just how EASY it is to make it in the Instant Pot!
- 3 Tbsp. Butter
- ½ Onion, chopped
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
- 1 ½ Cups Arborio rice
- ¼ Cup White wine
- 4 Cups Vegetable stock – low sodium
- ½ Cup Pumpkin puree
- ¼ Cup Heavy cream
- ¼ Cup Parmesan cheese
- Melt the butter in the Instant Pot set on the sauté setting.
- Add the onion and cook until it’s translucent – around 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds more.
- Incorporate the rice and stir, cook until the rice is slightly transparent, around 2 minutes.
- Pour the white wine in and stir to incorporate and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Pour the stock in and add the pumpkin.
- Close the lid and valve and set on high pressure for 6 minutes.
- Manually release steam. Open the valve and lid. Give the risotto a good stir.
- Lastly, add the heavy cream and the parmesan cheese and stir to incorporate.
- I also added in a ¼ cup frozen diced pumpkin for this recipe for a little added texture. You can also use fresh diced pumpkin – the cooking time is the same.
- This recipe is incredibly delicious with either pumpkin or butternut squash so feel free to use the one you prefer or have on hand.
- The result is super creamy!
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 16 min
- Category: Sides
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Leave a Reply