I just love lemon. I love the smell of it, the taste of it. It’s so light and so refreshing and lemon poppy muffins are my daughter’s favorite muffin!
When it comes to eating an unprocessed diet, I’ve found muffins are one of the trickiest to work with. I had several lemon poppy muffin recipes but they all called for at least ½ cup to ¾ cup of sugar and some even had a stick of butter!
A lot of them also have a sugar glaze over the top and most of them (if not all) called for lemon flavored yogurt. Now I know you know by now that there ain’t no lemon in that lemon flavored yogurt, it’s all Natural Flavors ~ which are anything BUT natural.
I have played around with the recipes until I finally came up with my own. It’s still not perfect, but I think it’s pretty darn close. My biggest mistakes were not having enough of a lemon flavor so I kept upping it until I felt it had enough and not enough poppy seeds. I think I rectified both.
Best part is it doesn’t come from a box and there isn’t a stick of butter in them. Feel free to experiment with it too, maybe it needs a little more lemon. I’d love to hear your feedback as I continue to experiment with these.Print
- Zest from 2 lemons
- ¼ cup pure cane sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup whole milk
- ⅓ cup good quality olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup whole wheat (preferably King Arthur)
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour (preferably King Arthur)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with liners
- Use a vegetable peeler to remove the zest from the lemon in long strips. Combine the zest and sugar in a food processor and pulse until the zest is very finely chopped into the sugar.
- Add buttermilk, milk, oil, egg, lemon juice and vanilla to the food processor and pulse until blended
- Combine the whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the buttermilk mixture and fold until almost blended.
- Divide the batter among the muffin cups
- Place on middle rack and bake for 20 min