This Air Fryer Pistachio Crusted Chicken is flavored with crushed pistachios, olive oil, and a surprising sweet ingredient. It’s the perfect recipe idea when you’re looking for something quick, easy, and tasty!
Why This Recipe Works
Are you tired of disappointing results every time you cook chicken in your air fryer? Dry and tasteless chicken can ruin any meal, but there is an easy and delicious solution – Pistachio Chicken.
I will share with you the secret to perfectly cooked air fryer Pistachio Chicken, guaranteed to impress even the most discerning eaters. Discover how to prepare the pistachio coating, coat the chicken properly, cook it to perfection, and serve it up for a mouthwatering experience.
- Lightly salted shelled pistachios: Begin by finely chopping up some pistachios in a food processor or by hand. It’s essential to get them as small as possible so they can adhere to the chicken better.
- Italian breadcrumbs: If you have another type of breadcrumb that you prefer, feel free to use that instead. The Italian breadcrumbs include additional seasonings, so if you are using plain breadcrumbs (like panko bread crumbs), you may want to consider adding in more seasoning to your mix.
- Plain Greek yogurt: Replace this with sour cream if you don’t have or like plain Greek yogurt.
- Olive oil: A good quality oil, not canola or vegetable oil
- Lemon juice: Fresh is always best
- Peach jam: Peaches (along with the lemon) are among the most compatible flavor pairings with pistachios. Another alternative is apricot jam or preserves.
- Chicken breasts: Boneless, skinless chicken thighs would also work, make sure you remove any excess fat beforehand.
- Seasonings: Salt and pepper are used for a balanced flavor.
- Step One – In a medium size bowl, whisk together the marinade for the chicken breasts and let them soak for 30 minutes.
- Step Two – Make the breadcrumbs/pistachio mixture in a shallow bowl or dish and thoroughly bread the chicken on both sides.
- Step Three – Air fry the chicken cutlets in a preheated basket for 9 minutes on each side.
How to Serve Air Fryer Pistachio Crusted Chicken
- I feel like every time I pair a protein I end up suggesting our orzo recipe. I can’t help it, it’s just so creamy and garlicy and delicious.
- You can also enjoy this chicken on a bed of white, brown, or rice pilaf if pasta isn’t what you want. Add a side of vegetables such as asparagus or fresh green beans.
- For little hands, cut the chicken breasts into tenders for easy dipping and eating. Put the tenders with a handful of fries for a quick lunch idea. Don’t forget dipping sauce like honey mustard or barbecue sauce.
- How do I store leftovers? If you make extra of this chicken, place it in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to three days. When reheating, use the air fryer to heat up each side at 350 degrees F for 3-4 minutes. You can also freeze these leftovers for up to 1 month. Thaw in the refrigerator then reheat in the air fryer.
- Can I use a different type of nut instead of pistachios? Absolutely! You can substitute pistachios for walnuts, almonds, or even pecans.
- Will this recipe work on other cuts of meat? Yes! The pistachio mixture pairs well with chicken tenders, pork chops, and salmon.
Tips: How to Use the Air Fryer Correctly for This Recipe
- Make sure to preheat the air fryer to 360° F before adding the chicken.
- Adding a little cooking spray or oil TO THE CHICKEN will not only prevent the food from sticking to the air fryer, but it will add some much-needed moisture and give it more of a ‘fried’ mouth feel.
- Do not overcrowd the air fryer, otherwise, the chicken won’t cook enough.
- Make sure the chicken is not too thick.
- Either set the air fryer at 360° F for 9 minutes twice or set it at 360° F for 18 minutes, making sure to flip the chicken halfway through.
- Do not use aluminum foil under the chicken breasts for this recipe, as it will trap the juices and make the breading wet.
AIR FRYER PISTACHIO CHICKEN RECIPE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your SOUP board!
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. And consider following me on Facebook and Pinterest!Print
Air Fryer Pistachio Crusted Chicken
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2–4 servings 1x
- ¾ Cup Shelled Pistachios
- ¼ Cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 3 Tablespoons Plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons Peach Jam or preserves
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon juice (half of a small lemon)
- 2 Boneless Skinless Chicken breasts, pounded or sliced lengthwise until 1 inch thick
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional garnish
- Pulse the pistachios in a food processor until fine. If you don’t not have a food processor, you can chop them with a sharp large knife.
- Place the pistachios, Italian breadcrumbs, salt, and pepper in a large shallow bowl and mix. Set aside.
- Whisk the plain Greek yogurt, olive oil, peach jam, and lemon juice together in a medium bowl to create the marinade.
- Coat the chicken in the marinade, cover the bowl, and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Bread the chicken breasts in the breadcrumb/pistachio mixture and thoroughly coat both sides.
- Preheat the air fryer to 360° Fahrenheit for 3 minutes.
- Spray the chicken with cooking spray or drizzle with olive oil.
- Place the chicken breasts into the air fryer in a single layer leaving room for air circulation. Cook for 9 minutes. Flip and cook another 9 minutes until the internal is at least 165° Fahrenheit.
- Remove from the air fryer and garnish with chopped parsley, optional, before serving.
WHAT TO PAIR WITH THIS:
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: air fryer
Leave a Reply