A spinoff of the classic cilantro rice from Chipotle only using healthier organic brown rice instead of white
I have never had Chipotle’s Cilantro Lime Rice, but my friends swear by it.
“Best rice on the planet” some of them say.
And since I don’t have a Chipotle close to me I was intrigued enough by all the accolades this rice was getting, I decided to make it myself at home. So I can’t tell you how closely it tastes to Chipotle’s but I will tell you this …. it is probably the best damn rice I’ve ever eaten!
And I am NOT even kidding!
Just so you know, I am NOT a fan of cilantro, AT ALL …. so if you are anything like me, it says a lot for me to LOVE a recipe that has cilantro in it.
The lime that comes through in this rice just SINGS! It is so light and so fluffy and so clean tasting. I couldn’t get enough of this rice. It is most definately going into the normal rotation in this house.
Getting brown rice to a fluffy light and airy consistency can certainly be a challenge, and believe you me, I’ve had my fair share of overcooked or sticky or crunchy rice.
But no more! I have figured that dilemma out.
You know how? I bake it now. Here’s the link to baking brown rice. You will never use the stove method again.
See how fluffy it is? And there’s no stirring, no pot to watch, no wondering if it’s burning on the bottom.
The ONLY thing you will do differently with this recipe is you will add a bay leaf to it while it’s cooking and use water instead of broth. It is soooo easy you will kick yourself for not baking it before. PLUS, you just put it in the oven and leave it there for an hour.
Once the rice is done, you simply fluff it with a fork and add the spices to it.
You simply must add this Cilantro Rice as a side dish next time you have Mexican or Taco night at your house.Print
A spinoff of the cilantro lime rice from Chipotle only using healthy organic brown rice instead of white
- 1 1/2 cups organic brown rice
- 2 1/3 cups water
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tablespoon organic butter
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 375
- Put the rice, salt, bay leaf and butter into a square baking dish. Microwave the water so it’s hot but not boiling and pour over the rice. Cover VERY tightly with foil, even double it if you have to so no steam escapes
- Put the pan on the middle baking rack and bake for one hour without disturbing
- Remove the pan and carefully remove the foil (it will be steaming hot) fluff with a fork and cover with a clean towel for 5 minutes
- Meanwhile, chop up your cilantro and juice the lemon and lime
- Remove bay leaf and add the rest of the ingredients
Recipe Source: HappilyUnprocessed.com
I used all organic ingredients when making this recipe, and hope you do too! 🙂