Are you tired of mediocre chicken dishes that lack flavor and excitement? Look no further than this Bang Bang Chicken recipe. The popular Chinese Bang Bang Shrimp dish has taken the culinary world by storm, and we’ve created our own spin on it, using chicken.
Do you ever leave a restaurant wondering how they managed to make that one dish taste so amazing? If you’re a fan of Bang Bang Shrimp, you may have experienced this feeling before, I know I have! I am a HUGE fan of this dish. It is sweet and spicy, crispy and addictive.
But have you ever wondered what makes it so addictive? It’s all thanks to a secret ingredient that gives it a perfect balance of sweetness and spiciness. In this post, we’ll uncover this secret ingredient and explore why it makes this recipe so irresistible.
Let’s get started. First….
What is Bang Bang Chicken?
Bang Bang Shrimp became popular in the US when it was introduced by Bone Fish Grill. It consists of crispy fried shrimp tossed in a creamy and spicy sauce made of mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce, and Sriracha. The dish gets its name from the sound of the shrimp being tossed in the sauce, which creates a “bang bang” noise.
We are using the same principles and flavors, only using bite sized pieces of chicken instead.
The secret ingredient that makes this bang bang shrimp recipe so addictive is none other than sweet chili sauce. This sauce is a perfect blend of sweet and spicy flavors. The sweetness comes from sugar or honey, and the spiciness comes from chili peppers. It’s this balance of flavors that makes the sauce so versatile and popular in Asian cuisine.
- The sauce – Sweet chili sauce, mayonnaise and Sriracha
- Chicken – skinless, boneless cut into small cubes and marinated in buttermilk
- The breading consists of Panko, spices, cornstarch and flour
Try This Recipe For Yourself
The recipe for bang bang chicken is surprisingly easy to make.
- Begin by combining mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce, and Sriracha in a bowl. Whisk the ingredients together until they are thoroughly mixed.
- Then, add the cubed chicken to some buttermilk to marinade until they are evenly coated.
- Combine the ingredients for the breading and dip each nugget into the breading.
- Fry the chicken until golden and crispy.
- Generously drizzle the sauce on top.
As most of you know, I do not frequently fry food. There is something about the combination of the sauce and the fried crispy chicken that goes so well. However, this recipe can certainly be made in the air fryer or even the oven.
What to Serve with Bang Bang Chicken
When it comes to serving Bang Bang Chicken, there are plenty of options that will complement its bold, spicy flavors.
- One classic pairing is with plain steamed rice, which can help balance out the heat and add some texture to the dish. Our fried rice recipe is the perfect compliment to this.
- If you prefer something a bit more substantial, try serving it with lo mein or other type of pasta, like our Parmesan Garlic Noodles.
BANG BANG CHICKEN RECIPE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DINNER board!
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. And consider following me on Facebook and Pinterest!Print
Bang Bang Chicken
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
Get ready to have your taste buds tantalized with this unique twist on the classic Bang Bang Shrimp recipe. We guarantee that you’ve never tasted anything quite like it before!
Bang Bang Sauce:
- ½ Cup Mayonnaise
- ¼ Cup Sweet Chili sauce
- 1–2 teaspoons Sriracha
- 1 lb. Skinless Boneless Chicken breast, chopped into bite-size pieces
- ½ Cup Buttermilk
- ¼ Cup + 2 Tbsp. Organic Cornstarch
- ¼ Cup + 2 Tbsp Flour
- 1 Cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon EACH: garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, salt
- Oil for frying
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Add the buttermilk to the chicken and allow to soak while continuing to step 3.
- Mix the cornstarch, flour, panko, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and salt in a small bowl.
- Place each chicken piece in the breading mixture and toss to coat.
- Heat oil in a skillet, about ½ inch deep.
- Remove the chicken from the breadcrumbs with a large slotted spoon or a pair and tongs and gently place into the skillet and fry on both sides until crispy, about 2 minutes per side. Use paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- To make the Bang Bang sauce, simply whisk mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce, and sriracha.
- Serve warm with the sauce on top. Add fresh green onions as a garnish.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dinner
What a great recipe! Why didn’t I think of this? I made the chicken bites a little too big. Next time I will make them smaller. I think this is a great appetizer.