These honey buffalo wings fall right off the bone and into your mouth! They start in the crockpot and end up either on the grill or broiler slathered in A DELICIOUS honey buffalo sauce.
It is football season America !!! And we all know what goes with football ….
However, these aren’t just your ORDINARY wings – these are HONEY BUFFALO WINGS!
Weekends REVOLVE around football in our house and wings are an absolute STAPLE on game day. I’ve tried about 961 different wing recipes. I’ve baked them, I’ve deep fried them, I even deep DEEP fried them in my turkey cooker.
It makes a mess, not to mention you need tons of oil. It’s a process. It just is.
Now I know what you are thinking. Wings in the slow cooker? Seriously?
You need to start with DRY wings. If you are using frozen wings, they need to be completely thawed because they are flash frozen with a thin layer of ice on them to prevent them from sticking.
Once thawed, pat them dry, really dry with paper towels.
This helps prepare them for the dry rub that is going to be rubbed all over them. It’s a combination of spices including garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper and more to tantalize those taste buds.
If those spices aren’t enough to give those wings some flavor, they are then bathed in honey buffalo sauce to slow cook in.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO COOK WINGS IN A CROCKPOT?
Chicken wings will take much longer to cook in the slow cooker vs. frying them. However, there is ZERO mess. It’s all done in one pot and slow cooking them results in the most tender, fall of the bone chicken. There is literally NO meat left on the bone at all.
They will take approximately 2-3 hours. When I make only one bag of wings (2.5 lbs) they are usually done in 2 ½ hours. If you like a ‘little’ pull on the wing, you can take them out in 2 hours. They will be thoroughly cooked but not falling off the bone.
When I’ve cooked 2 bags (4 lbs) it can take up to between 2 ½ – 3 hours, again this is falling of the bone done.
The beautiful thing about the slow cooker, as I’m sure you all know, is that you can walk away and let it do it’s thing while you do other things.
You can’t do that if you are deep frying them. These wings magically cook on their own.
Once the wings are cooked, you want to scoop out about a cup of that flavor filled buffalo sauce that has been cooking for the last few hours and add some organic cornstarch (or arrowroot) to it and let it simmer down while you get those wings onto a baking sheet for the broiler (or grill if it’s grilling season for you).
They get slathered in this sticky caramelized sauce and broiled until they are golden brown and delicious!
These pictures, I can assure you, have not been altered in any way. This is exactly what these wings look like after they come out of the oven.
All that’s left to do is grab your family and friends, serve these wings with some carrots and celery and of course some homemade Ranch dressing and watch some football!
GO BLUE !!!Print
These honey buffalo wings fall right off the bone and into your mouth! They start in the crockpot and end up either on the grill or broiler slathered in spicy honey buffalo sauce.
- 1 tsp Sea Salt salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- ½ tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Chili Powder
- ½ tsp Ground Cumin
- ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
HONEY BUFFALO SAUCE:
- ½ Cup Buffalo Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ Cup Honey
- 1 Tablespoon Melted Organic Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Molasses
1 pkg (2.5 lbs) Frozen Organic Chicken Wings, completely thawed and patted dry (or fresh)
**If you are using frozen wings, please make sure they are COMPLETELY thawed and dry.
- Add the dry wings to a slow cooker and sprinkle the combined rub ingredients on them. Using your hands, rub the spices into the wings.
- Pour the sauce ingredients over the wings and toss gently.
- Cook on HIGH for 2 – 2 ½ hours for 2.5 lbs of wings, up to 3 hours for 4 lbs.
HONEY BUFFALO STICKY SAUCE:
- Remove the wings from the slow cooker and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Scoop out 1 cup of the remaining sauce from the slow cooker and pour into a small saucepan over medium heat. Add ¼ cup Buffalo sauce.
- Remove a few tablespoons of the sauce from the saucepan and place in a small bowl. Add 2 Tablespoons of Organic Cornstarch or Arrowroot and whisk until there are no lumps. Pour this into the saucepan and whisk to combine. Cook for approx. 4-5 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
TO BROWN THE WINGS:
- Turn on the broiler of your oven and brush the wings with the sauce and put on the top rack to brown.
- Broil them for 2-4 min or until caramelized. Turn the wings over, brush with more buffalo sauce and repeat on the other side.
- Place the wings on your favorite plate alongside some Ranch or Blue Cheese dressing and some carrot and celery sticks.