These Honey Buffalo Wings fall right off the bone and into your mouth! These wings begin their adventure in the crockpot after being fully coated in a flavorful dry rub and bathed in a homemade honey buffalo sauce. Once cooked, they are finished off on the grill for a wing you will remember!
It is football season America !!! And we all know what goes with football ….
Get ready for a finger-licking experience with our irresistible Honey Buffalo Sticky Wings! First, we coat these wings in a flavorful spice rub and slow cook them to maintain their moisture.
Next, we take them to the next level by bathing them in a mouthwatering honey buffalo sauce that combines the tangy heat of buffalo sauce with the sweetness of honey, apple cider vinegar, melted butter, and molasses.
Finally, once the wings have cooked through, we transfer them to the broiler or grill to add a final touch of caramelization and char.
The Spice Rub: A Flavorful Foundation
- To create the foundation of flavor, these wings are generously coated in a tantalizing spice rub. The combination of sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chili powder, ground cumin, cayenne pepper, and a touch of brown sugar creates a harmonious blend that enhances the natural goodness of the chicken.
The Honey Buffalo Sauce: A Sweet and Tangy Sensation
- But what really elevates these wings is the heavenly honey buffalo sauce. It’s a magical fusion of tangy buffalo sauce, rich honey, apple cider vinegar, melted butter, and a hint of molasses.
- This delectable sauce glazes the wings, enveloping them in a sticky, flavorful coat that will have you reaching for seconds.
The Cooking Process: A Slow Cooker Sensation
- The beauty of this recipe lies in its simplicity and convenience. By placing the wings in a slow cooker, they cook low and slow, absorbing the flavors of the spice rub and sauce. This gentle cooking method guarantees tender, fall-off-the-bone meat that becomes infused with all the savory and sweet goodness.
The Final Touch: Browning and Caramelization
- To attain the irresistible caramelized glaze and captivating golden color, we quickly transfer the wings to the broiler or to the grill. We brush them with the sauce and place them under high heat, achieving the ideal balance of sweetness and charred perfection that will leave you craving more.
Serving Suggestions: A Feast for the Senses
- Crispy Celery Sticks: Serve some fresh celery sticks alongside the wings for a refreshing and crunchy bite. The crispness of celery provides a nice contrast to the saucy and tender wings.
- Creamy Blue Cheese or Ranch Dressing: Offer a creamy and tangy dipping sauce like blue cheese or ranch dressing. The cool and creamy flavors help balance the heat and add an extra layer of richness to each wing.
- Classic Coleslaw: A side of classic coleslaw, with its crisp cabbage, carrots, and creamy dressing, makes a refreshing and cooling addition to your wings. The combination of textures and flavors creates a delightful contrast.
- Sweet Potato Fries: Crispy sweet potato fries provide a sweet and savory accompaniment to the sticky wings. Their natural sweetness pairs well with the bold flavors of the honey buffalo sauce.
- Baked Beans: Add a comforting and hearty element to your meal with a side of homemade or store-bought baked beans. The rich and smoky flavors complement the tanginess of the wings.
- Corn on the Cob: Grilled or boiled corn on the cob is a classic and versatile side dish that pairs well with any wing recipe. The sweet kernels add a burst of freshness to each bite.
- Fresh Salad: Create a vibrant and refreshing salad with mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumber slices, and a zesty vinaigrette. The crisp and light flavors of the salad provide a refreshing contrast to the richness of the wings.
How long does it take to cook wings in the crockpot?
- The cooking time for wings in a slow cooker can vary depending on the size and quantity of wings, as well as the specific heat settings of your slow cooker. As a general guideline, cooking wings in a slow cooker on HIGH heat typically takes around 2 to 2 ½ hours for 2.5 pounds of wings.
- For larger quantities or if you prefer a more tender texture, you can cook them for up to 3 hours on HIGH. However, the wings should reach an internal temperature of 165°F before proceeding to the grill.
Can I use fresh or frozen wings for this recipe?
- You can use either fresh or frozen wings for this recipe. If using frozen wings, make sure they are completely thawed before cooking to ensure even cooking and proper seasoning absorption.
Can I adjust the spice level?
- Absolutely! Feel free to adjust the spice level of the buffalo sauce to suit your preference. Increase or decrease the amount of buffalo sauce or cayenne pepper in the recipe to make it milder or spicier.
Can I use a different type of sauce instead of buffalo sauce?
- Certainly! While the recipe calls for buffalo sauce, you can experiment with different sauces like barbecue, teriyaki, or honey mustard to customize the flavor profile according to your taste.
Can I make these wings in advance?
- Yes, you can prepare the wings ahead of time by following the recipe until the broiling step. Once cooked, you can store the wings in the refrigerator and when you’re ready to serve, simply reheat them under the broiler or grill.
NEED MORE WING RECIPES?
- BAKED WINGS with an EPIC DRY RUB & SWEET and SPICY SAUCE
- 4 COPYCAT BUFFALO WILD WING SAUCES
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
FALL OFF THE BONE HONEY BUFFALO WINGS
Like this recipe? Pin it to your CHICKEN board!
These honey buffalo wings fall right off the bone and into your mouth! They start in the crockpot and end up either on the grill or broiler slathered in spicy honey buffalo sauce.
- 1 tsp Sea Salt salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- ½ tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Chili Powder
- ½ tsp Ground Cumin
- ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
HONEY BUFFALO SAUCE:
- ½ Cup Buffalo Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ Cup Honey
- 1 Tablespoon Melted Organic Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Molasses
1 pkg (2.5 lbs) Frozen Organic Chicken Wings, completely thawed and patted dry (or fresh)
**If you are using frozen wings, please make sure they are COMPLETELY thawed and dry.
- Add the dry wings to a slow cooker and sprinkle the combined rub ingredients on them. Using your hands, rub the spices into the wings.
- Pour the sauce ingredients over the wings and toss gently.
- Cook on HIGH for 2 – 2 ½ hours for 2.5 lbs of wings, up to 3 hours for 4 lbs.
HONEY BUFFALO STICKY SAUCE:
- Remove the wings from the slow cooker and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Scoop out 1 cup of the remaining sauce from the slow cooker and pour into a small saucepan over medium heat. Add ¼ cup Buffalo sauce.
- Remove a few tablespoons of the sauce from the saucepan and place in a small bowl. Add 2 Tablespoons of Organic Cornstarch or Arrowroot and whisk until there are no lumps. Pour this into the saucepan and whisk to combine. Cook for approx. 4-5 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
TO BROWN THE WINGS:
- Turn on the broiler of your oven and brush the wings with the sauce and put on the top rack to brown.
- Broil them for 2-4 min or until caramelized. Turn the wings over, brush with more buffalo sauce and repeat on the other side.
- Place the wings on your favorite plate alongside some Ranch or Blue Cheese dressing and some carrot and celery sticks.