The bold, delicious, full bodied flavor of this Turkey Chili is so good people won’t believe you made it in under an hour!
This healthy turkey chili is a great alternative to regular beef chili. It is so packed with flavor from the spices, caramelized turkey and beans that you won’t even miss the beef.
A lot of chili recipes call for hours of simmering, which is great for the weekend when you have the time and plan on hanging around the house. But what about the times you want chili on a weeknight? We’ve got the answer!
How to make a Great Turkey Chili
To turn this into a quick weeknight meal, ensure you’ve prepped everything before starting to cook.
- Cut and Set Aside: Dice the onions, peppers, and garlic, then set them aside for later.
- Warm the Oil: Begin by warming the oil in a Dutch oven over low heat.
- Organize Canned Items: Gather all the canned ingredients, open them, and drain or rinse if needed.
- Measure Spices: Get your spices ready by measuring them and placing them in a small ramekin for easy access.
- Start Cooking: Begin by sautéing the vegetables until softened, then add the turkey, spices, and liquids.
- Simmer to Perfection: Let it simmer and reduce until your mouthwatering, healthy turkey chili is ready!
Expert Tips for the Best Turkey Chili:
- Layered Seasoning: Enhance the flavor of your chili by seasoning at each stage of cooking. Add a pinch of salt and pepper while sautéing onions and peppers, another when adding the turkey, and yet another when introducing the beans. This builds depth without making the chili too salty.
- Caramelization for Richness: For deep and rich flavors, allow the turkey to caramelize by cooking it undisturbed on high heat. Watch as the edges turn golden brown, and the turkey becomes white in the center. Once it’s almost cooked through, break it up and mix it with the sautéed veggies for maximum flavor.
- Sizzling Spices: Release the full potential of dried spices by adding them to your hot pan before the liquid. Dried spices lose their aroma over time in your drawer, but once they hit the hot oil and pan, they release their aromatic goodness.
This turkey chili recipe is the ultimate comfort food that brings together hearty flavors and wholesome ingredients. With a perfect balance of spices and layers of seasoning, each spoonful bursts with rich taste and satisfying warmth.
Whether it’s a cozy weeknight dinner or a gathering with loved ones, this chili is sure to impress and leave everyone wanting more. So, gather around the table, ladle out the goodness, and savor the delightful combination of tender turkey, beans, and aromatic spices.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH TURKEY CHILI:
Turkey chili is a versatile dish that pairs well with a variety of delicious accompaniments. Here are some great options to serve with your turkey chili:
- Cornbread: Nothing complements chili better than a slice of moist and buttery cornbread. The slight sweetness of cornbread perfectly balances the savory flavors of the chili.
- Rice: Serve your chili over a bed of fluffy white or brown rice for a heartier meal. The rice will soak up the flavorful chili sauce, making each bite even more satisfying.
- Pita Chips: Offer a bowl of crispy air fried pita chips on the side for a delightful crunch and a fun way to scoop up the chili.
- Avocado: Sliced avocado or a dollop of guacamole adds a creamy, cool contrast to the warmth of the chili.
- Shredded Cheese: Sprinkle some shredded cheddar, Monterey Jack, or a Mexican cheese blend on top of the chili for extra richness.
- Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt: A dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt adds a tangy and creamy element that complements the spiciness of the chili.
- Fresh Cilantro: Chopped fresh cilantro adds a burst of freshness and color to the dish, enhancing the overall flavor profile.
LOOKING FOR MORE GREAT HEALTHY TURKEY RECIPES?
- LOW CARB ASIAN TURKEY LETTUCE WRAPS (WITH VIDEO)
- BETTER THAN BEEF TURKEY BURGERS
- HOW TO SLOW COOK A TURKEY BREAST (THANKSGIVING)
HEALTHY WEEKNIGHT TURKEY CHILI RECIPE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your CHILI board!
A great weeknight turkey chili that is so full of flavor you may not go back to beef!
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 Lb. Lean Ground Turkey
- ½ – 1 Cup Onion, chopped
- 1 Bell Pepper (red, yellow or green), diced
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper, finely diced
- 3 Cloves Minced garlic
- 28 Oz. Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 2 Cups Chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 2 Tablespoons Chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon Oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (15oz) Can Black beans, drained
- 1 (15oz) Can Kidney beans, drained
- In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat, add the oil. Once shimmering, add the onions and peppers. Cook for about 5 minutes or until they are tender and softened.
- Add in the turkey and turn the heat to HIGH. Break it apart and stir it around the pot. Now, allow the turkey to cook until almost cooked through, without moving it. You will begin to see the top of the turkey turning whiter and the sides cook though. This will allow for some caramelization of the turkey which also imparts a lot of flavor. Once, cooked, break the turkey up as small as possible.
- Next add in the garlic, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, salt and pepper stir to incorporate releasing the aromatics.
- Add in diced tomatoes, chicken broth, kidney beans and black beans.
- Bring to a quick boil and then reduce heat to a simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Serve immediately with your favorite toppings. Can be refrigerated for up to a week or frozen for 3 months.
- Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30-45 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 240-270
- Sugar: 5-7 gr
- Sodium: 550-560 mg
- Fat: 8-10 gr
- Saturated Fat: 2-3 gr
- Carbohydrates: 20-25 gr
- Fiber: 6-8 gr
- Protein: 18-20 gr
- Cholesterol: 30-40 mg