The bold, delicious, full bodied flavor of this turkey chili is so good people won’t believe you made it in under an hour!
This healthy turkey chili is a great alternative to beef chili. It is so packed with flavor from the spices, caramelized turkey and beans that you won’t even miss the beef.
A lot of chili recipes call for hours of simmering, which is great for the weekend when you have the time and plan on hanging around the house. But what about the times you want chili on a weeknight? Or what if you want to make it a little healthier, but still retain that great chili mouth feel?
If you follow our tips below and use ground turkey then you will get just that!
How to Make a HEALTHY Turkey Chili:
- In order to make this a weeknight meal, you must be prepared and prep before you begin cooking.
- Cut the onions, peppers and garlic. Set aside.
- Begin to warm the oil in the Dutch oven over low heat.
- Gather all the canned items, open, drain and rinse if necessary.
- Measure out the spices and place them in a small ramekin until ready to use.
- Start softening the veggies, add the turkey, spices, then liquids.
- Reduce and simmer.
- Season with each layer of cooking to build flavor. For example, just grab a small pinch of salt and pepper as the onions and peppers are sautéing, when the turkey is added, when the beans are added. This seasons the chili as it is cooking down without become too salty.
- Allow the turkey to caramelize and deepen with flavor. Flavors get built as they cook. If you simply add the turkey to the pot, then immediately submerge it in liquid you will essentially end up with boiled turkey. In order to get great flavor, allow the turkey to sit undisturbed on high heat. Watch as the edges begin to cook and the turkey turns white in the center. Once the turkey is almost completely cooked through, break it up and mix it with the sautéed veggies.
- Always put dried spices in your hot pan BEFORE the liquid. Dried spices lose flavor as they sit in your drawer. They release their aromatics once they hit the hot oil and pan.
A great weeknight turkey chili that is so full of flavor you may not go back to beef!
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 Lb. Lean Ground Turkey
- ½ – 1 Cup Onion, chopped
- 1 Bell Pepper (red, yellow or green), diced
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper, finely diced
- 3 Cloves Minced garlic
- 28 Oz. Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 2 Cups Chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 2 Tablespoons Chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon Oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (15oz) Can Black beans, drained
- 1 (15oz) Can Kidney beans, drained
- In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat, add the oil. Once shimmering, add the onions and peppers. Cook for about 5 minutes or until they are tender and softened.
- Add in the turkey and turn the heat to HIGH. Break it apart and stir it around the pot. Now, allow the turkey to cook until almost cooked through, without moving it. You will begin to see the top of the turkey turning whiter and the sides cook though. This will allow for some caramelization of the turkey which also imparts a lot of flavor. Once, cooked, break the turkey up as small as possible.
- Next add in the garlic, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, salt and pepper stir to incorporate releasing the aromatics.
- Add in diced tomatoes, chicken broth, kidney beans and black beans.
- Bring to a quick boil and then reduce heat to a simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Serve immediately with your favorite toppings. Can be refrigerated for up to a week or frozen for 3 months.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 50
- Serving Size: 4 servings
LOOKING FOR MORE GREAT HEALTHY TURKEY RECIPES?